• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminated IJ180 Barcode Issue

Emily Bailey

We finally got all the motors and opos sensor replaced and it’s reading like a champ. However, when we try to cut out laminated ij180 it horrifically cuts off. Do I need to laminate a color calibration and calibrate the cutter with the lamination over it? Or an opos? I imagine the shiny surface is what’s causing it to cut incorrectly.

CL Visual

Never had an issue with mine yet. How many pinch rollers are you using? When you watch the camera on screen, does it look like its ready correctly?

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
If you went with the new Summa Camera cutter you would never have issues.
Opos senses dark registration marks on white vinyls but when it tries to sense on chrome or reflective vinyls you will issues.
The new camera system snaps photos of the reg marks and can see them on any material

AF

We finally got all the motors and opos sensor replaced and it’s reading like a champ. However, when we try to cut out laminated ij180 it horrifically cuts off. Do I need to laminate a color calibration and calibrate the cutter with the lamination over it? Or an opos? I imagine the shiny surface is what’s causing it to cut incorrectly.

There are a number of things that can cause cuts to be off that are not OPOS related. Some rip software has had bugs that lays out the cut paths incorrectly in relation to the printed image. Some materials are prone to slipping in the pinch rollers when cutting at high speeds. Some materials curl and hit the pinch roller assemblies causing alignment problems. Some materials hit the media rollers and slip resulting in alignment issues. Some materials work better with infeed and outfeed tables. Sometimes you need to cover unused vacuum holes to hold the material down better. Some printers distort the media (HP latex) and require corrective values in the rip and require OPOS XY to catch all the remaining distortions. Many problems can be attributed to an error between the chair and keyboard.

Emily Bailey

It’s not user error. We have had this cutter replaced twice now. HP has told us the issues the “machine” was having. Unfortunately, we got the machine we did and there’s not much we can do on that end.

There are a number of things that can cause cuts to be off that are not OPOS related. Some rip software has had bugs that lays out the cut paths incorrectly in relation to the printed image. Some materials are prone to slipping in the pinch rollers when cutting at high speeds. Some materials curl and hit the pinch roller assemblies causing alignment problems. Some materials hit the media rollers and slip resulting in alignment issues. Some materials work better with infeed and outfeed tables. Sometimes you need to cover unused vacuum holes to hold the material down better. Some printers distort the media (HP latex) and require corrective values in the rip and require OPOS XY to catch all the remaining distortions. Many problems can be attributed to an error between the chair and keyboard.