• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating Paper

kroger

With my cold laminator when the paper scrap gets to be a large amount on the roll I have to take it off by hand which is frustrating. I’m sure there’s a way to take it off easier. Reverse the roll? I only have one inner cardboard roll that the scrap paper rolls back on. I’m sure I’ve just been missing easy instructions on this over the years lol. Any ideas? Thanks. Hope I explained it well enough.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
The take-up roll/core should just be removed from the shaft and a new one put on. All 3 laminators we have had have a take-up shaft for putting a 3 inch core onto.

kroger

I thought of that. I didn’t get any extra cores with the machine. Will the vinyl cores work? I thought they were to big but I’ll check again.

rjssigns

I remove the core from laminator, place end on floor and spin opposite direction of wind. Takes about a minute and I can yank the core out.

kroger

I remove the core from laminator, place end on floor and spin opposite direction of wind. Takes about a minute and I can yank the core out.
I usually do that but it’s not continuous as I change out types of laminate. Cast to calender, etc

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
You can continually add to the roll until it fills up. get yourself some extra 3 inch cardboard cores to have around if you dont use all that many.

unclebun

We quit using laminator paper. When webbing up the laminate, stop just before you run the exposed adhesive into the roller. Put the printed vinyl against rollers, and start laminating. Just before the print is finished going through, cut off the laminate from the web, then let it finish running through.

If we have to laminate items smaller than the width of the laminate, we use a scrap of the laminate backer to run it through. No need to use takeup roll for small pieces.

MikePro

those take-up rollers fit a vinyl cardboard tube, at least mine does. to give it enough "friction" so that it doesn't just spin, i crush the center of the tube by stomping on it with my foot. Gives a bit of a tighter fit when sleeving it onto the takeup roll, but when we need to replace it.... the waste paper/liner just comes off on its own core, and quickly replaced with another core.

when i need to swap laminates, I just band the waste paper/liner with masking tape on the L/C/Right-side and add a couple of tabs of double sided adhesive to tack the backing paper/liner to it when I setup my next web.

pjfmeister

use less tape when you start the roll of new laminate on the take up....one small piece to start it...
when ready to remove all the old paper from the takeup core. Bang one end of the core on the floor straight down - it will release the tape and you can slide the entire roll of paper off the core without unwinding. My takeup core is a PVC/Plastic core not a cardboard core....not sure this will work with cardboard

pjfmeister

Seal came with it.....sorry not much help maybe find something at your local big box and cut it to the correct size

ikarasu

Seal uses a plastic core - Our machine is pretty old, and the inside of the core is getting worn... its been on my to due list to replace it, I'm hoping I can find one that works. Now I have a layer of tape on the inside to keep it tight... it works but eventually wears out, pain in the ass. You're supposed to put a cardboard core overtop of the plastic core though... Cant imagine how many knife marks would be on it if you guys dont!

I much prefer the way our RS holds rolls though. it being reverse wound allows you to also tape up a different web to the same core until it gets really big. We use 5-10 different overlams a day... having to constantly remove the web core is a pain. on our RS, you can just cut...reload, retape, repeat until the takeup core is really thick.

If you dont produce enough cores... you can buy some.

https://www.uline.com/BL_3653/Kraft-Tubes

Any 3" core should work on standard laminators. We recycle 5-10 cores a day...we get so many we dont know what to do with them. You could likely goto most sign shops and ask if they have any they can spare... probably get a dozen or so that way from one of the bigger guys. Just telling them you're making a cat tree and theyre be eager to give them away rather than pay to recycle them ;)