• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating Perf Streaks

So over the weekend, I installed some perf and it came out really bad. I'v never had this issue and this is the first time I've ever laminated perf so I think that's where the problem is. I used Orajet 3675 with Oraguard 290-GF Lam. It came out really streaky when it was installed and I'm wondering what I did wrong. I laminated it the same as I would any other vinyl

Attachments

• IMG_2303 (1).JPG
    IMG_2303 (1).JPG
    422.3 KB · Views: 890

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I get that all the time too. On cars, it usually goes away after the sun heats it up. On a window not getting much sun it may take some time for that to go away.

ikarasu

Squeegee marks are normal. They will go away shortly.

We once had a customer complain about them on his car window.. We told him wait 24-48 hours and they'd be gone, but that wasn't good enough.

Long time customer, so we agreed to do it again - Called 3M and asked about it, and we were told use 3M lam with 3M perf, blah blah. So we ordered some of the expensive stuff in... same thing.

Low and behold.. over the weekend the marks went away. You could use a heat gun, but it'd be a slow process. I'd just let it sit in the sun, it'll likelly be gone in 24/48 hours.

You could also not use a squeegee, just hand press it on.. that'd work if you need it to be perfect right away. But again.. 24-48 hours in the sun and it should all / mostly be gone.

Squeegee marks are normal. They will go away shortly.

We once had a customer complain about them on his car window.. We told him wait 24-48 hours and they'd be gone, but that wasn't good enough.

Long time customer, so we agreed to do it again - Called 3M and asked about it, and we were told use 3M lam with 3M perf, blah blah. So we ordered some of the expensive stuff in... same thing.

Low and behold.. over the weekend the marks went away. You could use a heat gun, but it'd be a slow process. I'd just let it sit in the sun, it'll likelly be gone in 24/48 hours.

You could also not use a squeegee, just hand press it on.. that'd work if you need it to be perfect right away. But again.. 24-48 hours in the sun and it should all / mostly be gone.
Okay awesome thanks! The only problem I have is that the window I applied them onto is in the shade, so I left it over and weekend and the streak are still there today

a77

In my experience, it takes a long time for them to go away if not in direct sun. I warn my customers. There are usually two issues that I see: 1) the squeegee marks themselves, 3"-4" bands, it's hard to not to end up with these, but if you go slow and light with a felt squeegee it helps. 2) the trapped air in laminate only - this happens but I try to minimize. Usually see this when not holding the vinyl away from the glass properly, or a lazy end of squeegee stroke. You can pop a few of the bubbles if you like.

It all goes away eventually, but only goes away in a few days if you get that nice hot sun on it.

In my experience, it takes a long time for them to go away if not in direct sun. I warn my customers. There are usually two issues that I see: 1) the squeegee marks themselves, 3"-4" bands, it's hard to not to end up with these, but if you go slow and light with a felt squeegee it helps. 2) the trapped air in laminate only - this happens but I try to minimize. Usually see this when not holding the vinyl away from the glass properly, or a lazy end of squeegee stroke. You can pop a few of the bubbles if you like.

It all goes away eventually, but only goes away in a few days if you get that nice hot sun on it.
Thanks for you advice, it was really helpful!

Melks

I commonly experience this effect after installing laminated 3m perf and can't stand the look. It does eventually go away, but takes time depending on sun exposure. It's definitely worth mentioning to the client prior to installation.

papabud

Lone Wolf
i have had this happen a lot. its from to much squeegee pressure. i use a felt squeegee and i dont get this as often.
with laminated window perf you just need enough pressure to put it down, any dragging or pushing of the perf will leave these marks.

Jordan

All the comments are correct, heat/sun will make them go away over time.

On a side note, if I’m not installing perf on a vehicle, I very very rarely use vinyl laminate. It’s overkill in most cases (read: little to no sun exposure), and makes for a more difficult installation than is necessary. If the customer wants a gloss effect, I simply use frog juice or some other liquid lam. No vinyl lam, no streaks.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Frog Juice? hell no! I have been using that for 10 years. Actually, my old boss made me use it. I spray it lightly. Spray it thick. Let it dry for 1 hour. let it dry for overnight that thing attracts dirt BIG TIME!
Every time i see a very very dirty window perf I just laugh because i know they used froggy juice. You can even see the strokes of the spray pattern. That's where it gets dirty. highly recommend not using froggy juice.

Other than that you can get less of these laminated squeegee lines if you don't press on the squeegee as hard. You have to do it very gently. This comes From Justin Pate who is one of the biggest in the biz.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Streaks are caused by pressure.

Lighten up on your pressure
Use a low friction squeegee or felt squeegee
Stay away from heat with perf

Frog Juice? hell no! I have been using that for 10 years. Actually, my old boss made me use it. I spray it lightly. Spray it thick. Let it dry for 1 hour. let it dry for overnight that thing attracts dirt BIG TIME!
Every time i see a very very dirty window perf I just laugh because i know they used froggy juice. You can even see the strokes of the spray pattern. That's where it gets dirty. highly recommend not using froggy juice.

Other than that you can get less of these laminated squeegee lines if you don't press on the squeegee as hard. You have to do it very gently. This comes From Justin Pate who is one of the biggest in the biz.
Yeah I agree, Frog Juice sucks lol. Stays sticky too long and you end up with tons of dirt

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Streaks are caused by pressure.

Lighten up on your pressure
Use a low friction squeegee or felt squeegee
Stay away from heat with perf
I know what you mean. I am talking about the streaks of dirt. that's not from the squeegeeing.
Its the way how it was sprayed.

DJr

Happens to is on every install. Normal will go away doesn't matter what brand you use. It's the laminate sticking to the glass through the holes. Will go away in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk