• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating polymeric calendered with cast lamination?

jimmmi

Hello, i want to ask experts, i am going to laminate matte transculent 5years polymeric calendered with matte cast lamination. Thinking that will have more durability over years because cast is 7-10 years and usually the lamination is that gets burned from the sun.
Do you think i will have problems? Will i get more years?

Lindsey

Not A New Member
In general, matching calendered with calendered and cast with cast is a good rule of thumb.

Why not just use cast translucent with a cast laminate?

Jb1983

You won’t hVe any problems. You can use cast laminate over calender print film and possibly extend its life but don’t bank on it.

cast over calendar = ok
Calendar over cast= not ok

bannertime

I do this and am happy with the results. Polymeric is pretty stable so you're not going to have the major issues like cast on monomeric.

dypinc

Since there is a lack of 61 to 63 inch cast vinyl I have been thinking about going to 62" Polymeric for Kapco but is there any Cast over-lam in 61 to 63 inch?

jimmmi

Basically I've seen some people laminate with cast lamination some reflectives. Thats why i thought going this way. To extend life. Because usually lamination burns after the years pass. Maybe colours will fade the the same but avoid burned effect

Lindsey

Not A New Member
Because i cant find cast transculent in my distributors
Oh...I see. Then I'd go for it. Putting the cast laminate on the calendered film shouldn't cause any problems. Not sure if you'll get very many more years tho. But it can't hurt.

My fav cast printable translucent is: 3M Scotchcal Translucent IJ3630-20. Maybe one of your distributers can order it in for you.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
We do a lot of printed wraps (custom work). We use the polymeric and cast laminate all the time. Works.
I recently ran out of calendared laminate for a job and used calendared vinyl with cast laminate. I don't think anyone will notice. We shall see.