• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating Process

bnosanchuk

We have been testing out different laminates in different thickness. But our main issue seems to be the drying time the prints needs before we can laminate them. Often we need to print something and then have it sent out that same day or early the next morning. Is there a way to speed up the drying time so we can laminate two or three hours later instead of 48 hours? We have a Roland SP-540V and are using a Master cold laminator. We also get a lot of wrinkles in the laminate if the print is longer than 20 inches. Is this a pressure issue or just a length issue? We tried to back down the pressure, but then we got bubbles instead... And/or would this be related to a flat roller? (We bought the laminator it second hand)

Dennis422

As far as laminating right away, you can do that if you print with the latex printer.
Wrinkles, I believe Master is the same as USTech laminator. I do not have any issues with mine. What it might be, check your tension and make sure it is threaded right.
The biggest print I laminated up until now was 10 feet long, no issues while laminating.

Tony McD

20" isn't very long to have problems laminating.
Don't know anything about your laminator, but make sure you have equal down pressure on both sides of the top roller.
Or to get the wrinkles out, maybe it needs a little more tension on the roll of laminate.

I have read on here where some have used milk crates and a fan to help speed up dry time.
Might try a search.

Mosh

I know I will get it for saying this but....I print stuff on my Roland printers and laminate right after I print. If they have a lot of coverage I will wait ONE HOUR, but never longer that that. Been doing it that way since we got our first printer in 2006 and NEVER had a problem. Let the 48 hour waiters chime in now....

jkdbjj

There are cases you can buy that are suppose to substantially speed up drying times. I believe I saw them in either Fellers catalog or Sign warehouse catalog. The look like tall tubes almost. I haven't used them but have seen them.

Tony McD

Like Mosh, I have laminated soon after the print came out of the printer.
Never had any problems (that I know of anyway)
Always heard the problem was that if uncured, the ink could migrate through the back of the decal onto the vehicle or substrate.
Not a problem I would worry about too much anyway, except for vehicles.

Here's a link to the "suck box" for drying prints > > http://www.signs101.com/forums/show...olvent-prints&highlight=fan+for+drying+prints

bnosanchuk

Thanks so much for the advice! I will see what happens if I laminate the print right away. Fingers crossed!

J Hill Designs

well, its not so much that the ink migrates down, but the solvents escape through the adhesive side, thus making the adhesive stickier and doesn't allow for as much 'snap and reposition' with wrap film

thats how I understand it at least.

Slim White

Are you rolling the print up before you feed it through the laminator? I finds that, for long pieces, it helps to make a tight roll and let it unfurl into the pinch gradually.

niksagkram

I don't know a lot about your particular laminator, but the basic principles are pretty much the same for most laminators. A printed graphic is fed between 2 pressure rollers (either heated or unheated). I have a 54" Seal, with heated rollers, and I put as much as 30 feet through at a time, with very few issues. If you are getting wrinkles after 20 INCHES, then there must be a set-up issue, or a mechanical issue. Not much help, I know, but if you feel you are webbing the laminator correctly, then there must be a mechanical issue. Check all your tensions, and visually check the gap between the top and bottom rollers. Caution here too, though. Some laminators have a "crown" or "bow" in the rollers to help distribute the pressure, so look at the outside edges of the rollers. They should be the same. You can also get "pressure sheets" that you feed between the rollers and this can give an indication how even/uneven your rollers are. Like I said, pretty generic info, but hope it helps. YouTube have some good videos too. :)

Mark