• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating Question

tomence

If you have your laminator loaded with a 38" wide roll of laminate, can you laminate 44" wide roll of vinyl, my print is 35 inches wide on 44" roll but have 38" laminate loaded on laminator. Is this gonna work.

Thanks

tomence

Will the laminator accomodate/accept the 44" roll of vinyl?

It's a 65" Seal 600 Laminator, it's not mine and trying to buy it from the guy that owns it and wanted to test it out today and he told me he got 38" wide roll loaded on it and he doesn't want to change to a wider roll of laminate.

BTW is this a good laminator?

portlandsignguy

Most of the Seal laminators have a crowned roller so make sure that you are centering the material or you might not get the best tracking results. Do a nip adjust test too before buying it: take a piece of clear vinyl (aprox 10"x54") or lam and lift it off the liner and set it back down on the liner (one half at a time)so it is loosely set back on the liner . Now set the film into the nip (space between the two rollers) and close the rollers together at 60% pressure and let it sit pinched between the two rollers for about 3-5 minutes, take it out and measure the imprint, if it is even all the way across you will have one less thing to worry about when buying a used laminator.

tomence

I have seen this laminator before, At that time i know that it was hooked up to an air compressor, so that tells me it is air driven, they were laminating 36" wide roll of vinyl using probably the same size laminate that they have now loaded on it which is 38", he tells me that he uses this size all the time for the work he is doing and that he never needed to change to a different size. Also portlandsignguy mentioned that the laminate needs to be centered and from what i remember their laminate was not centered but was installed all the way to one of the ends, like if you are looking or standing in front of the machine it was installed all the way to the right end. While they were laminating the finished product was taped to a take up reel and that was working fine.
I will play with it a lot when i go to see it.