Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laminating reflective prints?

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by signguy54, Aug 9, 2018.

1. signguy54

signguy54 Not an artist

Dec 8, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    what lam would I use? Optically clear?
    advice appreciated.

Randy

Tags:
  2. eahicks

eahicks Very Active Member

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    I just use the same thing I use for any other vinyl. Optically clear would be fine (cast).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    We use 290 Gloss, have never had an issue with a reduction of reflective properties

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. zillion29

zillion29 New Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Allentown, PA
    We try to use 8520 Matte as much as possible because of how glossy laminates tend to scratch easily. I'd never use a matte for an important traffic control situation, but it retains enough reflectivity for any other application.

5. signguy54

signguy54 Not an artist

Dec 8, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Thank all of you for the insight! for this we will use Ora 290 optically clear.

Thanks
    Randy

6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I first dealt with laminating reflective when we had a customer come through, wanting a (slightly) alternative to lit channel letters. We cut some letters out of .090 or .125 aluminum, popped studs, covered with reflective white with their blue printed on it, and trimcapped the letter with some Lords adhesive. The reflectivity seemed to get lost in the glare generated by bright flood lights. Ended up producing two identical ones with gloss laminate and matte, and letting the customer come in and pick his preference. The matte seemed to let the reflective do it's thing that much better.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. AKwrapguy

AKwrapguy Active Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Anchorage, AK
    Depends on the function. We use gloss for vehicles and luster for signs.