• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating

NgnEngraving

Hi everyone,

I have been doing a few digital prints lately, with my Roland Sp-540V onto Multifix vinyl, I have noticed that once this media has been through the printer its is very thin, how would I apply a clear laminate or something to protect these prints and make them more durable? Is there a better material?

Thanks.

anotherdog

...context.
What is your business?
what are these prints for?
You have been doing a few digital prints lately...???

You need to give some more background in order to get answers, especially with your first post.

NgnEngraving

My business is digital prints and engraving,
Most of these prints are for stock items the size is roughly (230mmx 120mm) others are to be placed on speedway cars, and are not square's. Yes lately I have been doing a few prints, and the customer has just requested more.

MikePro

by thin, i bet you mean that you're trying to apply directly after printing and the material is still soft from being saturated with ink. typically, you'd want to let dry for a day before you do anything.

---------------------------------
laminate will add thickness to your print, and protect the ink from the elements.

sheet lamination:
get either a laminator or a bigsqueegee

liquid lamination:
requires liquid laminate and either a paint roller or a liquid laminator.
(spray can liquid laminate is also available)

remember for liquid laminate, you want to use water-based for solvent prints and solvent based for aqueous prints.

SuncitySigns

Norogin boy eh? Well welcome.

Multi fix is cheap nasty stuff and the only thing I would use it in would be speedway cars!!

Like Jill said use a big squeegee or buy a laminator.

You could print whatever out. Roll on a liquid lam let it dry then run it back through your printer if your doing die cut stuff for speedway cars.....

NgnEngraving

Ah good to see another Aussie :) and thanks.

What products do you suggest? I'm still in the learning process for all this.

The Multi fix has got me started and the customers using it don't mind it for its current use.

And what type of liquid laminate?

Wiggum PI

You will need to laminate just about everything over there, same as here.
Clear Shield will probably be your choice of liquid lam, but still needs a learning curve to apply evenly.
I would suggest looking at a film overlaminator unless you're good at auto spraying.
And take one of the Avery, 3m, etc basic vinyl app courses to get a handle on what your using for what stuff.

SuncitySigns

At least use Arlon instead of that multi fix crap...

I use Avery for all my high end stuff and Arlon for my cheaper stuff.

Ring either Qualsign or Spandex in Perth about liquid lam or better yet ring tek cad/spandex/AVS and buy a laminator!!

NgnEngraving

Qualsign is who sold me the multi fix...

I will get onto them in the morning and get some Avery sent down. could you let me know which Avery product it is that you use?

Thanks for the help

SuncitySigns

I'm away for two weeks atm mate, haven't got the hang of remembering the codes yet.... :/

Can I ask what you are using the vinyl for? Speedway, signs, decals?

Is the Avery going to be used for something special?

NgnEngraving

At the moment I am using the vinyl for a bit pf everything, I have some on the side of my speedway car, a customer is using it for labels, I am looking at using it for larger signs when the opportunity comes up same for decals.

I know what its like with the codes..

SuncitySigns

Ah ok then, multi fix for speedway & Avery for all the rest I say.

But you got to laminate it mate other wise it doesn't matter what vinyl you print it on!!

jokingscroll

Run a psa. Put the print on top of a foamboard/gator board that is already coated with adhesives do not remove the liner from the board it should be a nonstick liner run the print thorough the laminator on top of the board then cut laminate as it come out. Peel the laminate from the non stick liner trim as needed.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Here is a video link that a potential customer sent me. Hope it helps.
Video Altough this is not the run of the mill sign project, it does look like an application for the Big Squeegee.