• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lamination Of Top Coat - Separation From Base Layer

lbpalm

Curious to know if any of the experts on this board have tried hot laminate on materials that are sold/spec'd as "cold laminate."

Reason being we have experienced delamination of the clear top on a couple of jobs, particularly on trailer in the rivet areas.

Just curious whether as to what the detriments or otherwise might be to hot laminating on a seal base 62.

As always, thanks in advance!

lbpalm

Hi,
Typically we use Oracal 3551 or 3651 with 290 Gloss or matte.
((have not had failures with Oracal))

- The failure occurred with IOM 5110-G and IOM Matte laminate.

Moving forward we will stay with Oracal, but if the IOM can be made to stay together it might be OK for flat signs.

So, the question about hot lam is really a general question, but to your point, are there medias/laminates that will yield superior results if hot lammed?

Thanks.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what the IOM vinyl and lam are off the top of my head. Who makes it?

If is a lower grade material(s) I think that is your answer.

I've used the oracal product for wraps/vehicles but got away from it because I did not like how it performed. I use 3M religiously.

Old adage, you get what you pay for.

juan.runnells

Production Manager Wide Format
I've had the same issue with mpi1105 on latex prints. According to Avery rep it's a known issue they are working on

We got switched over dol6460 for the laminate. Still experiencing some issues.

I have started going max pressure. With heat assist, and it does work. You just have to make sure the laminate has max tension. With the heat the laminate has more of a tendency to develop wrinkles on the roller before laying down.

I am a boss laminator though and can run a full roll at max speed.

But do be careful.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

lbpalm

Thanks!
One question I have - If using heat, will too much tension on the roll cause the lam to stretch on installation onto the media and, over time, possibly shrink back after final install?
Thanks again Boss!! :)

juan.runnells

Production Manager Wide Format
Thanks!
One question I have - If using heat, will too much tension on the roll cause the lam to stretch on installation onto the media and, over time, possibly shrink back after final install?
Thanks again Boss!! :)
Honestly. The answer is I don't know. It's too early to tell.

That being said, the laminate is only in contact with the roller for a couple inches before it hits the media. I also try and make sure that the backing paper peels off as far down the roller as is safe. This also helps prevent wrinkles.

Personally I don't think it's a huge issue, especially with wrap laminates being cast, they are meant to stretch, otherwise channels and grooves would delam all the time.

Also I've accidentally had heat on with calandered drytac emerytex pro.. so far I would say no to heat with calandered they are NOT meant to stretch so heat is not good with Calandered. Got a lot of silvering.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

dale911

President
I had the same problem with IOM media when it was placed in a position facing the east sun. IOM has been great to work with but I know I can't use it for outdoor stuff lasting more than a month or two. I still use it indoors for short term stuff but use 3651 for anything going outdoors for any length of time. Here is a pic of 1 of the two failures I had to fix. You can see how it gets channels in it and seems to slide off the print.

I will note that the IOM print is fine and holds up well and has done well with 210 laminate.
It should also be noted that the same print on both installs that always faces the west are doing just fine.

1eddbb8d1b68479eb53994d07c69cc3e.jpg
f6fefa5c3c76dc6a52b0ebace82fec9f.jpg
69acded4532022b810f692dac0481002.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbpalm

Interesting!
Nice to see some confirmation of the problem.
I agree the IOM may be OK for indoors but no more outdoors (at all) for us.
Thanks for posting!!
((nice Indian))

jfiscus

Rap Master
Hot laminate is an entirely different animal for an entirely different process/project. Regular cold laminate is what you need, but use quality materials.
You can run with heat assist on your laminate around 110 degrees and experience better results, but cheap laminates/vinyls are always going to cause issues.