Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lamination question

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by DKgrafix, Oct 5, 2012.

1. DKgrafix

DKgrafix Very Active Member

Hi There. Newb has a newb question.

I am getting some decals printed for a customer on Oracal 3651 that is going to be laminated. I have my cutter for about 10 days (Like I said, Newbie) and I have set it up and cut some Oracal 651 for about 30 yard signs with no issues.

My question is, should I extend the blade slightly out to compensate for the thickness of the lamination? Or should I just increase the pressure and slow down the blade?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tags:
  2. ucmj22

ucmj22 Very Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    HE HE newb, j/k. extending the blade will not change the cut depth, the force or pressure is what determines the depth. no matter how far your blade is out, once the machine registers xxgrams of force, it will stop descending on the vinyl

3. DKgrafix

I said I was a Newb :) n/p

Thanks for the explanation

4. CS-SignSupply-TT

CS-SignSupply-TT Very Active Member

May 31, 2011
    Hey ucmj22, shouldn't he consider a second bladeholder with a 60 degree blade for this type of job? That way he assures consistency in his lam jobs, as well as his traditional vinyl jobs.

5. ucmj22

ucmj22 Very Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I always have problems cutting anything less than 6mil with a 60º blade. always hops and makes essentially a perf cut

6. eahicks

eahicks Very Active Member

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    I would not use a 60 unless it was really thick lam like Polycarb.... 45 does fine with most laminates; they are often thinner than the vinyl.

7. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    Sounds to me like someone is trying to make a sale on bladeholders. 60 degree blades are good for tiny lettering, sandblast material and convex anything else is overkill.

Do what Pat said

8. DKgrafix

Thanks guys.

45 with more pressure and slower speed it is

9. ironchef

ironchef Very Active Member

May 1, 2012
    Miami, FL
    On my mimaki cjv I'm cutting unlaminated stuff at 130 pressure, and laminated stuff at 180

10. DKgrafix

I forgot to mention.
    Graphtec CE5000-60 here.

11. lazaros

lazaros Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Cyprus
    Let me ask you a question then since i have the same machine...

when i cut small stickers, say 9cmx9cm, the cut is off by about half a millimeter. i don't have the same effect when i cut bigger stuff. do you have any effect like that?

12. DKgrafix

Sorry, this will be my first time contour cutting.