• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lamination question

Dennis422

Hi There. Newb has a newb question.

I am getting some decals printed for a customer on Oracal 3651 that is going to be laminated. I have my cutter for about 10 days (Like I said, Newbie) and I have set it up and cut some Oracal 651 for about 30 yard signs with no issues.

My question is, should I extend the blade slightly out to compensate for the thickness of the lamination? Or should I just increase the pressure and slow down the blade?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

ucmj22

HE HE newb, j/k. extending the blade will not change the cut depth, the force or pressure is what determines the depth. no matter how far your blade is out, once the machine registers xxgrams of force, it will stop descending on the vinyl

CS-SignSupply-TT

Hey ucmj22, shouldn't he consider a second bladeholder with a 60 degree blade for this type of job? That way he assures consistency in his lam jobs, as well as his traditional vinyl jobs.

ucmj22

I always have problems cutting anything less than 6mil with a 60º blade. always hops and makes essentially a perf cut

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Hey ucmj22, shouldn't he consider a second bladeholder with a 60 degree blade for this type of job? That way he assures consistency in his lam jobs, as well as his traditional vinyl jobs.

I would not use a 60 unless it was really thick lam like Polycarb.... 45 does fine with most laminates; they are often thinner than the vinyl.

ChicagoGraphics

Sounds to me like someone is trying to make a sale on bladeholders. 60 degree blades are good for tiny lettering, sandblast material and convex anything else is overkill.

Do what Pat said

lazaros

I forgot to mention.
Graphtec CE5000-60 here.

Let me ask you a question then since i have the same machine...

when i cut small stickers, say 9cmx9cm, the cut is off by about half a millimeter. i don't have the same effect when i cut bigger stuff. do you have any effect like that?

Dennis422

Let me ask you a question then since i have the same machine...

when i cut small stickers, say 9cmx9cm, the cut is off by about half a millimeter. i don't have the same effect when i cut bigger stuff. do you have any effect like that?

Sorry, this will be my first time contour cutting.