• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lamination Tips

C

ColoPrinthead

Thought I'd actually contribute something today. I had been laminating on and off (depending on the roles I held) for 10 years before I was shown the method I use now; I had previously loaded the laminate by pushing a board through the machine and wasting material.

I now tape the leading edge of the laminate evenly to the top roller and use a scrap piece of media to start the feed (the tape on the back of the far right edge is because the acrylic split when I pulled it from the liner)
View media item 9454
I then rotate the roller so that when I I drop it on the sheeting the laminate will hit it. I like to line up the scrap leader on the right edge and tend to land dead on or within 3 mil. of the edge.
View media item 9455
I advance the roller just enough to allow me to pull the tape off from the back side.
View media item 9456
I then advance just enough more to check how close I got the edges to align.
View media item 9457
If I didn't get the lam and leader lined up dead on, I adjust placement when I attach the actual job, then measure from both edges temporarily taping both sides and adjusting as needed.
View media item 9458
Toss a line of tape across, remove side tape and rock and roll.
View media item 9459
I have found that on this particular laminator most of the skewing is caused by the take up being to fast - even when I am running the lam at top speed; To solve this problem when I am running full rolls I let the take up get a lead and turn it off and on as it gets closer to being tight on the core (I am planning on putting a dimmer switch on it to control the speed.)

As the roll runs I stand behind the machine trimming any overhang of lam if there is any.

I hope this helps some of you out. Have a great weekend.