• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator backing take-up issue

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Hi all,

We run the Royal Sovereign RSC-1650LSHF unit, and just today we began to have an issue with the lamination backing take-up roller not winding material off at the correct rate. After approx 2-3 feet, the backing was remaining adhered to the lamination layer all the way down at the substrate, causing failures requiring reprint & re-lam.
We managed to finish off most of the job by assisting the roller by hand, but this eventually started to introduce wrinkles in the laminate.

Has anyone come across this or a similar issue before?
It's new to us after ~2 years of somewhat successful laminating.

chartle

I have the exact same RS and mine does it all the time at the beginning of a new roll maybe for the first 10 yards . I just advance it as it laminates. Never caused a real problem except when I forget.

I could never figure out how it could change speeds on the take up as the roll filled up since there is no way for it to know how much material is on the roll and I don't think it has a clutch. Also the rollers and the take up are linked by a chain that doesn't allow variability.

AF

Never laminate unattended. Once everything is running have an attendant monitor the take-up so the backer doesn't get pulled into the nip. If your laminator has a release liner wind up tension device, adjust the tension periodically as the take-up fills. Manually winding the take up shouldn't introduce wrinkles if everything is webbed correctly and your tensions are correct.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I have the exact same RS and mine does it all the time at the beginning of a new roll maybe for the first 10 yards . I just advance it as it laminates. Never caused a real problem except when I forget.

I could never figure out how it could change speeds on the take up as the roll filled up since there is no way for it to know how much material is on the roll and I don't think it has a clutch. Also the rollers and the take up are linked by a chain that doesn't allow variability.

This sounds like it might be on the money... take-up was a fresh roll and laminate was a brand new roll of 3M 8518.
I'll see if we have any partially full rolls of backing lying around and will swap it out and see how we go.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
There is an adjustment on the release liner take up. On the control panel side there is a cover over the chain for the release liner take up, remove the cover and you will see a nut. Tighten this nut down until it is taking up at the correct speed. This will tighten up the clutch so it doesn't slip as much.

Your issues is caused because the smaller the diameter of the roll is the faster the roller has to turn to keep up with the laminator. As the diameter grows the slower it needs to run, just like the gears of a bike. This difference is why they put a clutch in there.

chartle

There is an adjustment on the release liner take up. On the control panel side there is a cover over the chain for the release liner take up, remove the cover and you will see a nut. Tighten this nut down until it is taking up at the correct speed. This will tighten up the clutch so it doesn't slip as much.

Your issues is caused because the smaller the diameter of the roll is the faster the roller has to turn to keep up with the laminator. As the diameter grows the slower it needs to run, just like the gears of a bike. This difference is why they put a clutch in there.

And I'm going to look for that clutch.