• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator help

Pideas

I having some problems with my laminator that I'm hoping someone can help with. When I run my cold laminator, the film starts out nice and smooth. As I am half through laminating my print, i start getting wrinkles in the film. I'm very new to using a laminator so I hope this is an easy fix. See attached photos.

Any suggestions on what adjustments I can make to correct this issue?

Last edited:

Mysticalvibes

Hi, I would definitely recommend you reduce the pressure of the top roller until it just grips and no more. When I adjust out laminator using a revolving handle on the side it goes loose whenever just the weight of the roller is on the material. I then turn it an extra quarter turn. Any more than that and the material wrinkles just like you mention. Also check if there is an adjustment for resistance on the media holders, this can also cause problems. Best of luck, Davy :)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Jayefkay531

We still utilize an old Seal cold laminator for small runs. We had the same issues like this pop up a few years back and realized it was uneven tension on the upper roller. Anything over a six or seven foot run would start to ripple like this. Assuming your ripples always follow the same pattern as your pictures, I believe it means the left side has more tension (pressure) than the right side. The only way to fix it is with trial and error - adjust the tension spring on the right side a quarter turn at a time and run backing paper through with no laminate. Continue to do so until there is even pressure and it's running through nice and evenly.

DoubleDiamond

We have the same issue and making these adjustments reduces this, but if I need to be sure this does not happen I think it starts at the beginning. What I mean is if I load it with a curve as the leading edge this is for sure going to happen. This is when I load it by myself, so I try to use a scrap piece and clamp down on it so I can then tape the print to this and make sure there is no curve to it.

DoubleDiamond

When we tried the 3M crappy 8508 and 8510 lams this was unavoidable. We switched back to oracal 210 and the problem was 80% resolved too. Forgot to mention...

2B

the tension of the top roller is too tight and the other point is make sure that the lamination is centered on the roll and also make sure that the take up for the backing is in exact alignment to the lamination roll

stew1tx

Centex Wraps and Signs
I was going to offer exactly what 2B mentioned. I had an old seal I thought was worn out but it was because my prints were not centered on the roller. They are crowned meaning center will touch before the edges so if you have it off center the pressure on the side with the majority of the print will over run the other making wrinkles show up. If centered it could be the backing inducing the wrinkles. If you take a gloved left hand try applying light pressure on the side the wrinkles are facing toward as you laminate and it should fix it. That is a bandaid and I use it often. Just DO NOT APPLY much pressure. Test it and try different positions. I run a microfiber in one hand wiping side to side on the print before it goes in and the other adjusting feed tension...Im a multi tasker hehe....