• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator Top Roller NO HEAT???

onlyjames

The World Is Never Enough
There isnt a "Laminator" forum....so I was wondering if anyone has ever had the top roller stop heating up? I have a D&K Expressions 42" and the top roller has stoped heating up out of no where??? I dont get it, and its making me go crazy...everyone know how much we pay for these machines.

Anyone?? ever had something like this happen?

Thanks!

MyShop

i have no experience with your brand of laminator but here's my thoughts on a GBC Orca 64 that I had. It had a glass tube style heater on the top & bottom rollers. Either your tube is broke or the connectors on the ends of the tubes have fried themselves. It should be fairly easy to disassemble and check for continuity from end to end, unless of course you are under warranty and then have a service tech look at it.

onlyjames

The World Is Never Enough
Thanks, I actually just figured everything out and have an Update for everyone. This may be something to remember when YOUR thinking about buying a D&K Scaminator.

The bad piece was actually the small rotating connector at the end of the top roller (checked with an ohm meter). So, here is the kicker.....

I called first to get a price on a new roller (990.00) fair enough, I know they are pricey. Then on the heating element (167.00) seems like a fair price...I actually thought it would be more than that. THEN, once I pin pointed the problem...the Small connector that spins on one side, maybe 1"x1.5" total..... $250.00!! And when I spoke to a dealer, he said those pieces go bad ALL the time on peoples machines. There is NO way that the entire heating element costs half of this small electrical connector. I am beyond amazed..I know everyone wants to make $$, but I would think that companies would want to at least be semi fair as to have returning customers.

Anyway, my solution was to use one from the bottom roller cause I only need the top one to heat. If I sell this thing I will obviously replace it then because its worth nothing to the new buyer if 1 of the rollers is "broken".

Other than than I do like the product, but this is an obvious spiked price on a cheap piece that they know goes bad. Even the tech at D&K told me to go straight for that part.

But, Im good for now! and one of these days they will get their ransom money cause I'll be selling it one day!