• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator walking heavily

the graphics co

I have a gbc titan 1064 cold laminator, it is about 5 years old, and in the last 4-6 months it has begun walking heavily in one direction. the prints will walk from the left to the right Approx 2-3" in an 8ft run. Upon removing the ends of the machine i see there are some pressure adjustment screws for each side of the roller, however, i don't want to just start twisting and hope for the best. Is there a way to determine which side needs to be adjusted and by how much? Any help would be appreciated.

player

If you use a tension gauge (fish scale type) and a thin piece of sheet metal (shim stock) hooked to it you can check to see what amount of tension each end will pull on the sheet stock until it slips.

the graphics co

Is there any type of benchmarking for what the tension should be? Or, is it just an adjustment until it pulls the same tension all the way across?

player

I am not sure. I would probably use the tighter side as the benchmark and tighten the other. If it is too tight it will cause problems laminating I would guess. Not tight enough problems as well...