• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

laminator with cut in roll

Katch26

Looking to add a laminator for occasional use. Aqueous wide format stuff for right now, mostly indoor POP signage and the like. I've been looking at refurbished ones on Ebay and found one from a reputable company (purchased from them before). I searched the forums and public opinion seemed to go either way on damaged rollers

Question is, is this even worth considering given the extent of the cut?

Attachments

• laminatorroll.jpg
    laminatorroll.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 109
  • laminatorroll2.jpg
    laminatorroll2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 113
With a cut that size it will leave an air channel, no doubt. Bubbles in the lam, just like installed vinyl, will eventually go away, but in my opinion it's not worth explaining to every customer that you swear it will go away over time. If that were the bottom roller you'd probably be able to get away with it..

Katch26

thanks for the quick replies, I figured as much. It kind of makes you wonder why it wasnt replaced when the machine was refurbished other than cost or availibilty, both are things I would have to address down the road.
anyways thanks again

thanks for the quick replies, I figured as much. It kind of makes you wonder why it wasnt replaced when the machine was refurbished other than cost or availibilty, both are things I would have to address down the road.
anyways thanks again

From what I've been told the rollers are expensive and hard to replace, so it's usually better to replace the entire machine (maybe not on a $15k Royal Sovereign, but most less-expensive machines).

Kwiksigns

wookie
that crack looks like something big got sucked through during lamination and cracked from the stress. I'd be worried the whole roll would be lopsided

getcustomized

Mine has a bunch of small horizontal slices but there is no trace at all after laminating. Ask if you could test it before buying.