• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator

Mark H

I am looking for a used heat assist laminator. I've seen new laminators on eBay from USA Stock & Ving that are under $2000. Does anybody know about these or have a laminator for sale?

Thanks

MJDallas

While my experience with laminators is minimal, I did buy a GFP from Drew @ Airmark. I know Phil posts on here quite a bit. I heard the learning curve on laminators was steep, however, this thing is rock solid.
Things I noticed.
1. I thought I wanted heat assist- Drew talked me out of it- he was right. I don't see the need.
2. The GFP, while more expensive is chain driven vs spring, so the rollers maintain constant pressure on both sides, plus the rollers are crowned, leading to a better finished product.

I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes, but I am sure happy with mine.

Mark H

While my experience with laminators is minimal, I did buy a GFP from Drew @ Airmark. I know Phil posts on here quite a bit. I heard the learning curve on laminators was steep, however, this thing is rock solid.
Things I noticed.
1. I thought I wanted heat assist- Drew talked me out of it- he was right. I don't see the need.
2. The GFP, while more expensive is chain driven vs spring, so the rollers maintain constant pressure on both sides, plus the rollers are crowned, leading to a better finished product.

I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes, but I am sure happy with mine.
I spoke to Phil and he told me I would need heat assist if laminating over printed material

AF

Heat assist is primarily there to reduce or eliminate silvering, a benefit for quick turnaround products where the customer will see it before the silvering goes away on its own.

Heat assist may improve laminating and mounting to substrates with irregular surfaces.

It is not critical to have, but it has its use and is not a deal breaker.

player

IF you go slow and have adequate pressure, silvering is not an issue.

For cheaper laminators you could try Signs From China (USA Inventory) or USTech.

What I wished I had is a take up reel on the back of the laminator.

MJDallas

IF you go slow and have adequate pressure, silvering is not an issue.

For cheaper laminators you could try Signs From China (USA Inventory) or USTech.

What I wished I had is a take up reel on the back of the laminator.
Me too!