• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Landlord did wrong!!!!

CP Signs

10 months ago, we moved into this new unit in a small industrial park style complex. 52 units in total. Our first 6 months were basically free because the Landlord always needs signage, and that is a big bonus. Before we signed with him, I wanted to make he wouldn't lease another unit to a sign shop,,,,he said, never, don't you worry, plus, you are getting the last unit. The car detailing shop closed up and the unit we rented within a day. I guess I forgot to mention that all these units are new so that was also a bonus for us because all the businesses needed a sign. I noticed yesterday that this new guy already had a sign up. I understand they don't have to go with us ( been in the industry over 15 years ), but I was hopping to at least get a shot at bidding on it. The business name was ( last name ) Auto Care. In this town, everybody knows this last name,,,,,,he's the ex mayor. Back a few years ago, the ex mayor also had a sign shop as a side job. So that explained his sign,,,did it himself ( again, I have no problem with that ). We have an excellent relationship with the people in this complex, kind of like the Post Office, where everybody goes in to shoot the s***t and go on Friday after work for a cold beer. This morning, I had 2 business owners come to me and told me this " new " guy went around and told them if ever they need a sign, the first one is free ( as long as it's not too fancy )! Mister ex mayor has a 24" cutter and a few rolls of vinyl. I'm not afraid of his competition because he can't do a third of what we do, BUT, I simply think this whole thing is just wrong, I mean, he is about 50' away from our unit. I know the Landlord can rent to whoever he wants, I just think it was wrong. Just venting, thanks for reading.

CP Signs

Because the Landlord as always been good friends with Mr. xyz. The Landlord told me he used to get all his signs ( years ago ) from him, that is why I think it was wrong for him to do it.

Techman

If the landlord cannot provide you with a suitable work space,, then he broke the lease agreement. If he rented the space to someone operating a sign shop even if it is just a sub business then you are not supplied with a suitable work space to operate your business.

CP Signs

You are right Pat, and thanks guys,,,just needed to vent,,lol. Another business owner here just left my shop, told me the same story about a free sign and in return told Mr. xyz that he would rather pay for a professional sign from me,,,,,thought that was cool.

HulkSmash

If the landlord cannot provide you with a suitable work space,, then he broke the lease agreement. If he rented the space to someone operating a sign shop even if it is just a sub business then you are not supplied with a suitable work space to operate your business.

this is true. If they opened another sign shop in our business park, we could break our lease with no issues. I praying for the day they do, i hate it here

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Make sure your store-front looks super professional and clean. Be a good neighbor and most will come to you, once they see the quality of his work and his back-door methods. The mighty buck goes a long way, but not when it looks dishonest.

Have faith in yourself and conduct yourself properly and by no means ever put this likeable ex-mayor down. That will surely backfire.

d fleming

Make sure your store-front looks super professional and clean. Be a good neighbor and most will come to you, once they see the quality of his work and his back-door methods. The mighty buck goes a long way, but not when it looks dishonest.

Have faith in yourself and conduct yourself properly and by no means ever put this likeable ex-mayor down. That will surely backfire.

+1

CES020

Walk into the Auto Shop and tell the owner that you need to make a deal with him. He doesn't make any signs for people and you promise not to work on people's cars for less than he can.

You'll refer call jobs to him if he refers sign jobs to you.

If that doesn't work, put your "Cheap Auto Care" coroplast signs out front and throw the hood open on a couple of cars just for fun.

skyhigh

put your "Cheap Auto Care" coroplast signs out front and throw the hood open on a couple of cars just for fun.

That is funny!!!

If he's giving away free signs, you should get one for the sub-straight. Tell him to make your free one a 8'x16'

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah.... or just get everyone together and tell them all to go in and order a first-time sign of an 8' x 16's all around.... out of duraply [MDO] and call him on his offer. Just say, they're only two colors and make everyone have totally off the wall colors. Neons, gold leaf, silver leaf and other crazy chit.

CP Signs

Maybe I just hadn't slept enough and was b***chy, but just reading this made me smile the rest of my day so far. Thanks guys.

CanuckSigns

Walk into the Auto Shop and tell the owner that you need to make a deal with him. He doesn't make any signs for people and you promise not to work on people's cars for less than he can.

You'll refer call jobs to him if he refers sign jobs to you.

If that doesn't work, put your "Cheap Auto Care" coroplast signs out front and throw the hood open on a couple of cars just for fun.

This is your best bet, go talk to him, only escalate it if he's a do***e

Team Valhalla

CP,

I completely understand the need to vent at times, but I think you've answered your own question as to what to do... "I'm not afraid of his competition because he can't do a third of what we do".

If that's the way you honestly feel, forget about him and go about running your own business, you're already better and ahead of him. The time and energy that you spend stewing about what he does, could be better spent pounding him in the market place.

Put your helmet on, pull those seatbelts tight, and go racin'! Be sure and give a friendly thumbs up when you go by and put him a lap down.

SP

CP Signs

Alright, here is an update on this issue. The new " Auto Care " shop has a little logo on his mail box that says " Auto Care " and 2 4' x 8' signs on his garage doors advertising; signs, banners, vehicle lettering etc...... I had to do a sign yesterday for a property management company. He asked if I knew anybody who needed commercial space. I went to see the place. 50 times better then my place, twice as big ( I need the space ) and 80% more traffic then were I'm at now. He is willing to give me 2 months to settle in. And, negotiated a price that is only $95 more a month then mine for twice as big.
Techman; thank you for that info. Landlord will let me leave without a fuss!
ddarlak; yep,,that will show him,,,lol.
I won't lose business buy moving,,,I am not in a location that people drive buy, it's a side street in the old industrial park and I'm at the end of a dead end. The new place has way more businesses ( potential new customers ), and a lot of traffic.
Going this afternoon with the real boss ( my wife ) and will probably sign the deal!

CheapVehicleWrap

Alright, here is an update on this issue. The new " Auto Care " shop has a little logo on his mail box that says " Auto Care " and 2 4' x 8' signs on his garage doors advertising; signs, banners, vehicle lettering etc...... I had to do a sign yesterday for a property management company. He asked if I knew anybody who needed commercial space. I went to see the place. 50 times better then my place, twice as big ( I need the space ) and 80% more traffic then were I'm at now. He is willing to give me 2 months to settle in. And, negotiated a price that is only $95 more a month then mine for twice as big.
Techman; thank you for that info. Landlord will let me leave without a fuss!
ddarlak; yep,,that will show him,,,lol.
I won't lose business buy moving,,,I am not in a location that people drive buy, it's a side street in the old industrial park and I'm at the end of a dead end. The new place has way more businesses ( potential new customers ), and a lot of traffic.
Going this afternoon with the real boss ( my wife ) and will probably sign the deal!

Cool deal! Good luck!