• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laptop vs Desktop

JMPrinting

I know I will get a lot of desktop answers but I'm thinking about switching my main to a laptop, anyone do this? Currently I have a mid grade Dell with a Dual Core AMD looking at some core i5 and i7 laptops so I can bring work home if need be. Are the hard drives as stable? It would be a dell or Alienware laptop. Is this just a bad idea? Just wanting some input

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I do all my design work on a laptop. I hook up to a 30" monitor
at home, or at the office. I ALWAYS use an external keyboard
and mouse. I do this to keep the laptop away from liquids because
I'm a clumsy oaf.

After some 10 years of using laptops, I've never had a hard drive
problem, but had my logic board go bad.

I always back up to a portable drive.

My main computer is a 17" Intel Core Duo
My back-up is a Quad Core I7

k_graham

I do all my design work on a laptop. I hook up to a 30" monitor
at home, or at the office. I ALWAYS use an external keyboard
and mouse. I do this to keep the laptop away from liquids because
I'm a clumsy oaf.

My main computer is a 17" Intel Core Duo
My back-up is a Quad Core I7

I recently added a larger monitor to my laptop as well as keyboard and mouse and it makes a great dual monitor home computer running Windows 8.

However I also built a Xeon system for work, quad core 3.5 ghz, with 16 gigs of ecc ram, expandable to 32 gigs, 256 gig ssd and a 3 gig video card to drive a 4k Seiki 50 inch monitor 3840 x 2160. The good is the system is built, the bad is Tiger Direct shipped the wrong monitor which we refused at the door and its been backordered for a couple weeks. Newegg has them now but Tigers was cheaper with the 4 year warranty on the monitor and the only complainers have been those where the monitor broke so I want a long warranty on the monitor.

If you can find a portable driving a 4k monitor I have no objection.

Ken

1leonchen

I have a nice laptop and one desktop home. I tend to do more work when I am at my desktop. My laptop is more for on the road meet a client pull my art work quickly and make a few changes. My lab top will out perform my desktops any day. But it quite heavy. Running a Lenovo y510 with dual graphics and a true color calibrated screen. I like Alienware and dell also acre but I got a deal and couldn't pass it up.

if u go labtop get a good wired mouse a wired keyboard and a nice 30 inch screen.

heyskull

The answer to this question is Desktop all day long.

I have had a number of laptops over the years and all have had failures that resulted in the machine been uneconomical to repair.
At least with a desktop if a video card, network card or PSU goes down you can replace with a new one.
Doing this on most laptops means due to the way the motherboard has this all on the one board (they design it like that!!)you have to replace the motherboard which is expensive.
Yes the laptop is more convenient but it is a much more delicate machine and with it being portable, smashed screens and damaged parts are the norm.
Not to mention charging sockets, chargers and batteries failing due to use.
Also you cannot upgrade a laptop and adding more storage, faster video cards and processors etc.

My business partner ignored this advice and after 22 months of laptop use has a machine with a dead video card and a £350 bill to repair it!

The absolute maximum you will get out a laptop is 3 years if used as a work machine.
I have a desktop that is used as our server which has ran constantly for the last 8 years.

Really this is a no brainer this one, unless being portable is your ultimate priority.

SC

artofacks1

I been using a MacBook pro for over 7 years now. Hands down the MacBook pro has been the way to go. It's powerful, fast and if I need to run Windows os . It actually runs it faster and smoother on parallels than a native pc. Keeps you mobile and easy to work with on the move. Productivity is through the roof as I can chill on the couch and get things down.