• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Large Decals

comp56

What kind of size decals are you all making here is a shot of one of my larger ones, roughly 32" x 38 feet

Attachments

• 20200430_121411.jpg
    20200430_121411.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 318

RaymondLoewy

Pretty fly for a Sign Guy
That looks great. O have never done a container before but may in the future; pleas share some tips.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
That is a large decal you have there.......
Looks level with the top rail of the fence - good job.

comp56

That looks great. O have never done a container before but may in the future; pleas share some tips.
not going to lie, the first few were a learning curve because of the corrugation. Biggest trick is to make sure starting line is straight and not worry about the measurements when the decal is applied I also have templates for all sizes of containers and design the decal accordingly.

comp56

there is more to this set, the best thing was it was all applied at ground level and then put in place.

Attachments

• 20200616_083134.jpg
    20200616_083134.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 255

comp56

on a corrugated background, do you extend the letters to compensate for the raised edge?
no I enter the actual size of container in software, in this case it is a 40ft or roughly 481" long and I layout lettering based on what size I want it to be and cut it and apply according to software.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 239

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
I have done a few of these large shipping containers like this.
After working on the first one (and having an engineer working along side me) I learned you have to measure and compensate for the length you are losing each time the vinyl goes down in a valley.
If you just make a decal say 20ft long it will be shorter in length once applied down in the corrugations. So you have to make the decal longer to make it look right once installed.
The height of the decal doesn't change.
You can figure it out by calculating it but the best way we found was to take a pc of 2In Masking tape and apply the tape down from the center
of one ridge into the valley and up to the center of the the next ridge, mark the centers of each ridge on the tape, pull the tape off, stretch it back out straight
and the marks tell you the measurement between each valley, multiply that by the valleys the decal will cover and you have your length.
This method also works on corrugated garage doors.

comp56

you only have to if you need
so i was correct, you need to compensate for the "valley" by extending the letters in length.
you only have to if you need an exact measurement, someone asks for a 20 ft decal they get a 20 ft decal problem can also be height and length ratio. wanting a 28" tall letter a word could be 14' 9" but if you stretch it to compensate for the vallies it can look stretched or it can keep it's proper ratio and the decal can appear shorter on the can. I have done hundreds of cans from 10ft to 40 ft haven't worried about the vallies. so no you don't always have to worry about it.