• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large Format Printers - New vs Used?

Ceej

Hi there

I have an online large format printing company, at the minute everything is outsourced but I'm now looking to start printing my own products. I'm pretty new to all this so this question may be silly but I'm rather confused about something...

Basically, I'm thinking of buying a Roland SP 540 printer, and am considering whether to buy a brand new one or not.

I've spoken to companies who sell brand new machines and they said that new is best, and I've spoken to companies who sell used machines who say that buying a used machine is best...

I'm very confused, does anyone have an opinion on whether to buy new or used machines?

Any advice and past experiences would be extremely welcomed, as i don't particularly trust the salesmen i've been speaking to up to now

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who has any advice :)

- Richard

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
It depends on the equipment and what "used" really means. How much printing has been done with it etc. If not properly taken care of a used piece of equipment can be a total nightmare, if you get used then make sure you get a written warranty of at least 3 months. Make sure all the heads are in good working condition, have them send you prints to make sure it actually works. I would buy new if your getting a solvent machine.

mark galoob

new machine:
will cost more
will prob run longer and with less problems when you need it to...
you wont have to put as much money into it to fix things for a decent time period
will "prob" run fine when you need it to...

used machine:
will cost less
will require money to fix the problems you will encounter
will prob have to put more money into it as time goes on
will "prob" break you need to be running jobs and will cost you more down time and $$ to do emergency fixes...

mark galoob

Jack Knight1979

I bought a 745ex new.
I'm starting to consider adding on another machine.
I'd like a 54 or 63.

I want to buy used for the huge savings and because I know the sj series in and out. I can change all the boards, replace fuses, heads, etc.

So for me the cost savings is huge. I don't want the added expense of the new expensive heads on new rolands, learning a new machine, etc.

Ceej

Thanks very much for your quick and extremely helpful replies. I know it's very difficult to say because it will depend on the individual printer's condition, but do you think the likelihood of a breakdown could be quite high if a used machine was purchased? Is this a common problem that people find?

Downtime is obviously a major concern, and I print quite a lot of work already, so any downtime would clearly be a major problem for me. The price i've been quoted on a used machine is only £3000 (about 30%) less than a brand new machine, so maybe it's worth the little extra investment...?

AUTO-FX

I have an online large format printing company, at the minute everything is outsourced but I'm now looking to start printing my own products.Downtime is obviously a major concern, and I print quite a lot of work already,

which is it???

mark galoob

i dont think its a question of if a used machine will break down, its when...samething for a new one.

the question you have to answer is can you afford for your printer to have more down time than not. a used one will prob have more downtime than a new one.

mark galoob