• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large Overlapping Vinyl Installation

PurplePanther

Any final tips on installing graphics to a metal surface 20ft wide x 10ft tall?
We are using 3MIJ180C-10 With 8518 Lamination.

I made vinyl panels that are approx. 40'' wide x 10ft tall.
I have about 1/2'' overlap built in.
Not too much in the way of lining up art graphics from panel to panel.
Lots of "white" vinyl space.

The metal surface is a cooler with some unevenness but pretty smooth.
No condensation, etc issues are to be expected.

Just wet apply and go to town??

TIA!!

PurplePanther

never applied anything this big before with overlap parts.
OK - dry it is.

Just start from the top and work down.
If not straight pull up and rework...

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The one thing you are likely to run into though is panel stretch. 3M's backing is hard to remove (compared to other brands) and with the height it will likely stretch vertically a bit making the panels slightly more challenging to line up. Particularly if it is very warm in your shop while installing it. That being said - as long as you start each at the same height and do a consistent install then it should be fairly consistent in the vertical stretch as well. The only real workaround would be to put a digital print app tape on the prints. Also - with air release vinyl, never wet apply, ever...

drhhgraphics

Hello, I've been installing for over 10 years. This material is very easy to work with. Especially if it is mostly white with a good lam. I would peal off all the backing paper, adjust your match ups and then squeegee. It will save you a ton of time.

-Heather

drhhgraphics.com

petepaz

i would do them from the middle up to the top then to the bottom. tape up the first panel or use magnets ( i just got a set of magnets and use them when ever i can they are great)
do a tape hinge in the middle then let the top come down, remove from the release liner, cut it off and then squeegee up 5ft. after that is up then squeegee down the bottom half.
doing half at a time will be easier than all 10ft at once. also this will keep the stretch to a minimum and line up better