• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large Panels for Backlit sign

brycesteiner

I have a customer that wants me to redo a backlit street sign. I got the measurements today and the existing frame takes an 8'x6' panel. I'm not sure where to get panels this large. I've contacted my supplier, but I doubt they carry polycarbonate or acrylic this large. Would I be able to use 2 - 4'x6' panels and have the vinyl hold them together?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Most plastic suppliers will have large rolls of polycarbonate. I suggest that, because a piece of acrylic that size will be expensive- and fragile. If you do go with two pieces of acrylic, use an overlapping seam (not a butt seam) and, whatever you do, do not rely on vinyl to hold anything together.

Marlene

I have a customer that wants me to redo a backlit street sign. I got the measurements today and the existing frame takes an 8'x6' panel. I'm not sure where to get panels this large. I've contacted my supplier, but I doubt they carry polycarbonate or acrylic this large. Would I be able to use 2 - 4'x6' panels and have the vinyl hold them together?

No, the vinyl will not hold two pieces of plastic together. The fact that you would even ask that scares me.

petrosgraphics

you should be able to get 6'x8' poly panels . suppliers have them in large rolls they will cut to size. remember they are 6'x8' , they will have some weight to them. do you have the capability to lift them into the cabinet. there is the option of retro, to flex faces

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most any poly carb supplier can get you this size. It doesn't need to be a pan face. If the sign doesn't already have bumpers in there, put some in on your own, to be safe.

brycesteiner

Thanks for the quick replies.
My supplier got back with me and said they can get that size for me.
I'm really just at the quoting stage with this customer right now. I'm actually going to go up and look over the existing frame to make sure it was measured correctly and to see if it requires any bumpers or if it already has any.
Thanks again for the fast responses.

signbrad

A sign with a face this large is not always easy to service. The plastic will be heavy and can be difficult for one person to slide. I would not even consider replacing the faces without hanging bars. If you need to send two people and two trucks to service a sign like this because one person can't do it alone, the cost of the service call becomes significantly greater. And a hanging bar is not just a convenience to allow easier servicing. It allows the face to hang without bowing and can prevent a blowout.
It's true that a flat face will probably work if the cabinet is deep enough, but my preference is to install a pan formed face—plus a hanging bar. A pan is more rigid, especially at this size, and more blowout resistant. And if the cabinet was specifically designed for pan faces, flat faces should not be used. There is nothing uglier—or more unprofessional looking—than a visible center pole or noticeable hot spots, caused by putting flat plastic in a cabinet that was not made for it.

The usual argument for putting flat plastic in a cabinet that was made for a pan face is, "they don't want to pay for it." I don't view this as a legitimate argument. So I simply stopped giving them the option. The few times I gave in and put flat faces in where they didn't belong, it did not always work out well. In fact, more than once, when the client saw how the finished sign looked at night, I was blamed for "not doing it right."

The absolute best way to re-face a 6x8 is to install a retrofit flexible face with a hinged frame. Of course, they may not want to pay for it. :)

Brad in Kansas CIty