• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large propane tank - vinyl graphics

phototec

PROPANE TANK - VINYL GRAPHICS

Anyone have experience applying vinyl to a LARGE PROPANE TANK, what is the best material for this application?

Name on tank to be 20" tall and 32 feet long, phone number is 15" tall and 15 feet long.

The tank has been newly painted with epoxy paint, how long should it dry before installing vinyl?

Should I price it the same as a flat sided box truck without rivets?

Thanks for any and all info.

:smile:

Attachments

• Propane tank for Signs101.jpg
    Propane tank for Signs101.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 280

phototec

Install will most likely be a breeze...

Ok, however I remember reading a post long ago about problems with propane tanks because the liquid gas inside is colder than the surrounding air temperature. Wanted to know if I need to use a specific material for long term durability?

:help

The liquid is not really at that much different of a temperature. The temperature difference comes during the phase exchange from liquid to gas as the product is released. If the product is removed from this tank in liquid form to be put into another larger truck, the temperature should not change.

The tank will get warmer as Propane is added if added in gaseous form as heat is generated when the gas is compressed into a liquid.

CO2 is the same way and is stored liquid at 700PSI but phase changes and gets cold at the regulator when using it to fill tires etc.. which is popular offroad.

A tank that large is probably filled with liquid Propane, and Transferred to smaller trucks as liquid propane, so the temp should be pretty steady.

graphix45

I would wait at least 2-3 weeks if possible, and use Oracal 751, 951 or whatever brand you use that's comparable. As far as installation, you shouldn't have any problems as long as the paint job is smooth. I did a couple of propane truck tanks with large graphics about 2-1/2 years ago...No problems as of yet.

phototec

Hey guys, thanks to everyone for their input, I guess it's no different from any other vinyl job, the size of the tank and knowing what is in it must have been playing on my mind, as this is the first time doing a large propane tank for me and want to do a good job and have it last as long as possible.

:thankyou:

phototec

Welded seam?

Got another question, how to install vinyl over welded seam (see photo), the tank has several welded seams. Should I heat the vinyl and use the Rollie Pro similar to a rivet?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:omg:

Attachments

• Welded seam.jpg
    Welded seam.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 119

jfiscus

Rap Master
Use a torch to lay it down into that seam..... wait - bad idea.

If it was me, I would try to locate the seam in-between letters to the best of my ability or just slice it out after installing; with letters that large and no potential customers walking up close to it, a 3/8" or so slice out of some of the lettering would be pretty insignificant.

It looks like the lettering is kind of high up and there's a protective barrier around it; is it easily accessible to letter or will you have to rent a boom lift to reach it?

I do not think it would require any specialty vinyl other than you would use on a standard truck. All vehicles go outside int he winter, so coldness shouldn't hurt as long as you get a good initial adhesion on the surface.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd put it down as if it's not there and then go back, cut out the portion over the weld and paint it in with a matching color.

We did a few of them and never had a problem. We used Oracal, I believe.

Mosh

It will go right over the weld without a problem, no heat should be needed. Use a top hinge method.
We do load of these up here. We did one up to look like a dairy cow with black spotches.

+751 Oracal, that is all we use on outdoor stuff.

Wiggum PI

I'd put it down as if it's not there and then go back, cut out the portion over the weld and paint it in with a matching color.

We did a few of them and never had a problem. We used Oracal, I believe.

I'd go this route too.

Scott Reynolds

I wouldn't even use a heat gun. When they're hot, sparks can still come out of them. You could use a magnifying glass on the weld seams to heat them up a little. I know that sounds stupid, but no sparks and no flame.

phototec

Hey guys, I have one more question regarding this large propane tank job, the phone number will now be a large reverse graphic (see photo below) 15" tall and 18' long.

What is the best way to apply a large reverse graphic this size, can it be done in one piece, wet or dry?

Thanks

Attachments

• Propane tank for Signs101 Revised.jpg
    Propane tank for Signs101 Revised.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 149

jprbsign

I would hinge it in the middle, soak the tank and the vinyl, apply one side without removing the application tape, remove the masking tape you used for the hinge, then apply the other and finally remove the application tape. Use soapy water to soak the tank.

SlightlyChilled

No one is going to be right up next to this thing. Well no one that matters . Do it in peaces use less vinyl and easy for you to install.