• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large Rooftop banner installation

jwarner

Customer wants a 5'x40' banner installed to the sloped face of shingled roof. How should something like this be properly installed? Or should I just hire a licensed installer?

unclebun

As long as the owner is OK with the roof leaking, you can do it. It won't leak while the banner is there, but the screwholes in the shingles and sheathing after you take it down?

Billct2

Seriously, any holes in a roof is a bad idea, much less enough to hold a banner that large. Yes, you can fill the holes after removing with silicone or some such thing but it's always risky.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
About 45 years ago, the place I first started working at, was putting a sign on the face of a building. It was a flat roof (slight slope, of course) and we boomed the big stuff up onto the roof. Got the signs up and everything looked honkie-dorie when we left. About a week later, the boss got a call. The store owner has a leak in his roof. We got blamed because we were supposedly the only ones up there in the last 10 years. Yeah, right. Turned out, the 2 leaks were wa-a-a-a-ay in the back of the building. Not anywhere where we had been, at least 40' away from where we were. He still hadda pay to fix the roof. I still think it was an old leak and he jut did that to get us to pay for it.

That is the reason I have a clause that simply states.... we are not responsible for any leaks old or new related or not related to what work we are performing. It has other items in it like cracks or electrical problems and we tailor it as needed.

Had a guy once tell me he was gonna sue me, because we had left some dirt on his property after digging 6 huge holes. This was some leftover dirt nuggets about the size of a peach pit sprinkled around in his grass. I had him come out and show me these mounds of dirt he was complaining about and he showed me these little specs of dirt. I told him to be careful as he might trip over one and brake his frickin' neck, if he ain't careful. I stepped on the pieces and left 10 minutes later. Since then, I now put a huge tarp of cardboard down and we take any dirt away when finished.

Andy D

That would throw up a red flag for me, not just a roof leaking but if it comes loose, a banner that size can
cause a lot of damage and/or injuries.
I would sub it out.