• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large Scale Stencil?

nolanola

We are looking for some guidance on how to best execute a very large scale wall mural project.

We have been asked by our client to provide some sort of stencil and they are going to paint the mural themselves. We figure because of the scale, a good option would be a projection system.

Does this seem like a good route to go? There is a drawing attached with measurements.
If it does seem like our best option, can anyone give a description of equipment used, logistics of the project, etc?

If you have a better idea on how to get this done please share.
Thank you for the help.

Attachments

• Stencil.jpg
    Stencil.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 348

Billct2

Projection may work if it can be set up correctly. A scaled sketch with a grid works too, probably the way I would go. And I have actually done some pounce patterns that big, usually not for something so simple though.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
  • Is it just the word storage ??
  • What kinda wall ??
  • What texture is the wall ??
  • What kinda paints ??
  • How high off the ground ??

In all honesty, that's something which should be drawn out by an actual person who knows what they're doing. Most likely a grid approach/setup. Ya cut in the lines and then just roller the insides.

We did one about a year ago, something like 28' tall and about 50' wide. A commercial painting company did the work. We just made a pounce pattern, they pounced it, then painted inside the lines..... like a coloring book.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Make your own stencil. With the ability to tile, you should literally be able to map the entire world.

JB

nolanola

• Is it just the word storage ?? YES
  • What kinda wall ?? We don't know. They say its' flat and has been recently finished.
  • What texture is the wall ?? Flat, smooth.
  • What kinda paints ?? We don't know. Most likely latex. They will paint it.
  • How high off the ground ?? 13'

nolanola

Projection may work if it can be set up correctly. A scaled sketch with a grid works too, probably the way I would go. And I have actually done some pounce patterns that big, usually not for something so simple though.

How do you make a grid? Laser level + chalk? We have a Summa Cutter 54" that can cut through material. I'm sure it can pounce too. How would you attach paper or vinyl 20' long to a wall? Blue tape? Staple gun?

fresh

grid. i'd probably use an 8ft 2x4 and draw a level chalk line.

Edit: I'd snap a chalk line. duh. its been a long time since i gridded anything.

Attachments

• gRID.jpg
    gRID.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:

Billct2

We would grid with a line level or laser & chalk. Choose a grid that will work with the design and the skill of the painters. We would make a large print of the design with grid and cut up into manageable pieces. For a pounce pattern I would panel it so one manageable section at a time could be taped & pounced. I plot large pounce patterns and then perforate with a wheel by hand.

studio 440

We are looking for some guidance on how to best execute a very large scale wall mural project.

We have been asked by our client to provide some sort of stencil and they are going to paint the mural themselves. We figure because of the scale, a good option would be a projection system.

Does this seem like a good route to go? There is a drawing attached with measurements.
If it does seem like our best option, can anyone give a description of equipment used, logistics of the project, etc?

If you have a better idea on how to get this done please share 3/4 inch sale drawing scale up to size, draw lines, paint .get $

nolanola

We ended up printing the outline on a butcher paper, used the pounce wheel, battery stapler and rattle cans.