• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large Sign in one piece

brycesteiner

Got a potential customer who walked in the door today and they want a 16x8' sign. I thought 4 4x8' and then mounted on a frame. Nope. They want it all one board and printed two sides so they can build a frame around it.

Is this available? I think I could successfully align four sheets of vinyl to make this work, but what about finding a single piece of board that size?

thanks,
Bryce

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Build a very narrow framework and wrap it in billboard material or layer it with a solid piece of roll stock polycarb. Both will be seamless, but need a frame to keep them rigid. Honestly, the framework for the entire sign should be built first and make the sign fit that. The other way around is bassackwards.

Unless this is a small billboard, your customer sounds like a doozie. :banghead:

2B

unless it is a flex face billboard scrim or roll sheet poly-carb then there will be seams.
The seams can be hidden fairly easy but there will be seams

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Reminds me of a customer that wanted a wall mural, 12' tall x 30 or so feet long. He wanted NO seams. After 30 minutes of explaining how this is done, material sizes, etc., he stormed out saying he would go somewhere else that "knew what the hell they were talking about". I just laughed at him.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Reminds me of a customer that wanted a wall mural, 12' tall x 30 or so feet long. He wanted NO seams. After 30 minutes of explaining how this is done, material sizes, etc., he stormed out saying he would go somewhere else that "knew what the hell they were talking about". I just laughed at him.

Ya mean you couldn't make him understand today's technology and limitations ??

:ROFLMAO: shoulda told him to hire a walldog and be done with it........ :doh:

rjssigns

A 5 meter Scitex woulda punched that out in 10 minutes.

brycesteiner

Build a very narrow framework and wrap it in billboard material or layer it with a solid piece of roll stock polycarb. Both will be seamless, but need a frame to keep them rigid. Honestly, the framework for the entire sign should be built first and make the sign fit that. The other way around is bassackwards.
Unless this is a small billboard, your customer sounds like a doozie. :banghead:

That's pretty much what I was thinking too. I called and gave him some options since I couldn't find anything he requested. The largest board I could find was 120"x60".
I suggested to him that he could build what he wants and we provide the banner that would wrap it. The other option is just use the 10x6' one piece board and print and laminate it. I'm waiting to hear back.

Techman

the client is not the boss.. He doesn't know that a sign is not to be sniffed. A sign is observed from a small distance and panel line separations become almost invisible at a proper distance.