• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large Sign

brycesteiner

I have a customer who wants a large sign put up. It's about 30x8'. I was planning on using a 5 year gloss vinyl and laminating. It will be a billboard on the side of a barn. I've never done anywhere near this size before. It will be put on a poly board that's mounted. I'm quoting it for full color.

What would you charge or something like this?

Thanks!
Bryce

Techman

I would use paint and not vinyl.

The materials cost would be about 25 bux..
The scaffold would be about 100 bux.

TimToad

I don't know if its so big that you couldn't just print, lam and mount each panel. Its no bigger than a bus size RV, large box truck, etc. that you wouldn't hesitate wrapping in vinyl.

How simple of a layout is involved? How many colors and/or graphics are involved? Do you have the skills or experience to do it as a paint mask and fill?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can get aluminum composite 5' wide which would make you installation easier and better, but I don't know you printing abilities.

You should build and mount a frame first from wood or aluminum and depending on how high in the air it is, the mounting of several panels won't be too difficult. Laminating a digital printing should be fine on the side of a building.

More information are needed to help you. Perhaps if you give some more information, someone might give you a number. Others will give you a formula to figure out what you need to get for you in your area.

Billct2

Too may variables, but first, since I read this differently, are the panels already in place or will you be doing this from scratch, installing an 8x30 where there has never been a sign. Second what does the design look like?

brycesteiner

Too may variables, but first, since I read this differently, are the panels already in place or will you be doing this from scratch, installing an 8x30 where there has never been a sign. Second what does the design look like?

I don't know what it looks like yet because I'm just pricinging it. I was going to price a little high. The board has not been installed yet. They customer has said they will do this part. I provide the print and design and mounting. I am figuring on about 35% coverage of ink. I have figured my costs but I've never installed something that large and it seems like there would be premium.
What would you charge?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're only going to be applying 7.5 panels. However long to do one times 8. Your media is a known factor and low ink usage shouldn't be tough to figure out, so do your math and figure in some profit and bingbadaboom..... there's your number. Just make sure they match up perfectly, cause whenever a customer does YOUR instal, he's gonna see first hand right up close all the imperfections.

Billct2

The board has not been installed yet. They customer has said they will do this part
I have figured my costs but I've never installed something that large and it seems like there would be premium
OK I'm confused: you say the customer's installing it, then you say it should be a premium price because it's large and you've never installed anything that large?
If you're not installing it, it's easy like Gino said, it's 7.5 4x8s, not hard. If you are installing it that would cost as much or more than the sign. And we haven't even mentioned permits. As for pricing, I don't usually price without knowing how it will look. Too many variables in how I would handle it. And I might even bring up the option of a banner depending on the design/purpose of the sign.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
OK I'm confused: you say the customer's installing it, then you say it should be a premium price because it's large and you've never installed anything that large?
If you're not installing it, it's easy like Gino said, it's 7.5 4x8s, not hard. If you are installing it that would cost as much or more than the sign. And we haven't even mentioned permits. As for pricing, I don't usually price without knowing how it will look. Too many variables in how I would handle it. And I might even bring up the option of a banner depending on the design/purpose of the sign.
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the OP is referring to installing the vinyl onto the substrate, not the finished product on the building. It doesn't seem feasible, if this is a large sign and never done anything like it, he/she has the knowhow of how to put this thing on a wall.

visual800

If it was mine I would do it on max metal for $3200 installed locally. Assuming it was not too detailed using urethanes and clear coat

Sidney

Price for 8x30

Hello,

Without having all the details but basing of your 8x30/ 5 Year Vinyl/ laminating info.

Estimate Price:
**3M High Performance Digital Vinyl (Full Bleed)
**3M 2Mil Semi Gloss
**Design Difficulty- "Above Average"
**Installation- "Above Average" Applying to substrate..assuming you apply to substrate before they install on side of barn. Unless it is eye level after Barn Install.

Estimate Price- $2773.00
(of course other factors will affect price. ie: Logo work, travel, out source installer, permits (if applicable) etc.)