• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laser Blur around letters

alexbuzek

Hi Everyone!
Has anyone ever experienced a blur or halo when engraving into plastic? I have an Epilog Helix 24 and whenever I engrave plastics I get a halo. I have been in contact with Epilog, and so far no solution. I am using Rowmark Laser Engraving Plastic.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. My focus is correct. This only happens on plastic.

I have attached two attachments, hopefully I did it correctly.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Attachments

• blur.jpg
    blur.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_8677.jpg
    IMG_8677.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 329

rossmosh

Your pictures aren't very good but I'll give you a rundown of what normally causes this.

1. Resolution. If you're not engraving at 400dpi or higher, start.
2. Laser head is loose. Check to see if there is any wiggle when you move the laser head. There shouldn't be. If there is it could be anything from a bolt to a bearing failure.
3. Belt tension is off.
4. Actual motherboard/control board issue. I'd say this is unlikely but it's a potential issue.

If I had to guess, it's either 2 or 3.

Also, really attempt to take some decent pictures. I can barely see anything that's going on.

fastmax

looks like the bidirectional is funky, if possible see if you get the same effect in Uni-directional

toomeycustoms

Clean encoder strip if your machine has one. If your on facebook, check out the Epilog Laser Fan group, sure someone may have experienced the same issue.

V-ENGRAVE

In addition to what was suggested make sure of following:

1 - Dirty encoder strip or flip the sides for proper connection seating
2 - Cracked lens (splitting the beam)
3 - Beam alignment (hitting metal parts in the path)
4 - Tickle adjustment required
5 - Belt tension