• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Laser Cutting Foam

billsines

Hello,

So I have a customer that I'm UV printing signs for...they want coffee cups that are printed. So the process is print cups on 3/16 Fome-Cor then laser cut the cups out. They want a black core, and fome cor does not come like that. So I used gatorfoam and that stuff does not laser well. So my question is, what are my options for 3/16 foam, white face, black core, good for UV printing and then laser cutting? Doesn't matter what the back is.

letterman7

Why do you need a white face if you're doing a full bleed print? Order black foamcore and be done with it.

ChrisN

Ultraboard is available in W/B/W or W/B/B in various thicknesses. It has polystyrene faces, so I'm not sure how it would perform when laser cut. Pitman also has their Duratex brand foamboard available in W/B/W colors as well. I think that has paper faces.

czar2178

I don't know if this will help you but when i need to do this in the past, i UV print it then laser cut the foam. The sides (inside is usually melted and beveled it) so I just took a BLACK marker and filled it that way, the customer more than liked it and this saved me the same hassle you are facing by not using a black board and overprinting it.

billsines

Can't use PVC? Oh, and there is black foamcore available (as an example 3/16" Black Buffered Foam Core Boards :48 X 96
Thank you for that, I was able to find some of that as well, but I want one side white like gatorfoam.

The PVC can't be cut on a laser as apparently the pvc gas released in the cutting procedure is very toxic, damages optics, and if a warranty remains, voids the warranty. Thanks for the idea though.

I've used ultra board with some success but my supplier only has it in 1/2" and up, no 3/16. I could use 1/2" but I suspect the laser cutting operation will be less than stellar with such a thick product.