• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laser cutting vinyl?

TomK

Stickergiant has a cool facebook ad running talking about how they use lasers for their die and kiss cut vinyl lam stickers, which is an awesome ad btw.

Just curious if they use special vinyls for this? I've read and been told that laser cutting regular vinyl is a no no due to the gas that is released.

Also curious what lasers would read reg marks like this, or is it a completely different print and cut workflow that a normal wideformat and summa setup would use?

CanuckSigns

When lasers cut PVC based products like SAV it releases chlorine gas, which is not only extremely bad to breathe in, it also corrodes the aluminum inside the laser machine, not we have used our laser cutter to cut very small amounts of vinyl for certain applications, but I wouldn't do it regularly thats for sure!

Most laser cutters have camera systems now for print cut applications

Summa makes a large format laser cutter for cutting fabrics and textiles, I assume this is what they are using.

TomK

Yea exactly what I've read. I know there is special vinyl that is laser friendly, but no idea the cost. Maybe they are using that?

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
All the major brands have adopted a non-PVC version of their print material; 3M IJ480c then ORAJET 3981, Avery MPI 1405. You might research them. P.S. all companies use the same vinyl facestock because of patent rights.

FastStickers

Folks, not to necro an ancient thread, but I do recommend avoiding Spartanics. Our company gave them a down payment of a quarter million dollars towards the purchase of a laser cutting machine last year, and it's been very difficult to work with them. They are late on delivery, and rarely answer calls or emails. When they do we get the run around. I have receipts to prove this, so reach out to me if you want before buying anything from Spartanics so I can share my experience.

Ryze Signs

I cut thin vinyl applied to acrylic on my 4x8 Boss CO2 laser for channel letters faces. It is well ventilated with 4 exhaust fans.

ikarasu

Some people cut vinyl on their laser.... some don't. At the very least, you're putting more wear and tear on your machine that you don't have to.... so why do it?

Theres a lot of PVC vinyls out there that are pretty cheap - I use avery 3901 For cheap coro signs, lasers fine... doesnt rust my machine, or release deadly gas that'll slowly kill you. Then theres 3M IJ48C for longer term stuff.... Theres quite a few backlits and other items as well. Lots of alternatives, so why mess with something every single laser manufacturer tells you not to do... Not worth it to make a few bucks.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Folks, not to necro an ancient thread, but I do recommend avoiding Spartanics. Our company gave them a down payment of a quarter million dollars towards the purchase of a laser cutting machine last year, and it's been very difficult to work with them. They are late on delivery, and rarely answer calls or emails. When they do we get the run around. I have receipts to prove this, so reach out to me if you want before buying anything from Spartanics so I can share my experience.
Yikes, sorry to hear. What's the total cost of those units if down payment was 250k??