Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser cutting vinyl?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by TomK, Nov 14, 2020.

1. TomK

TomK Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Virginia
    Stickergiant has a cool facebook ad running talking about how they use lasers for their die and kiss cut vinyl lam stickers, which is an awesome ad btw.

Just curious if they use special vinyls for this? I've read and been told that laser cutting regular vinyl is a no no due to the gas that is released.

Also curious what lasers would read reg marks like this, or is it a completely different print and cut workflow that a normal wideformat and summa setup would use?

Tags:
  2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    When lasers cut PVC based products like SAV it releases chlorine gas, which is not only extremely bad to breathe in, it also corrodes the aluminum inside the laser machine, not we have used our laser cutter to cut very small amounts of vinyl for certain applications, but I wouldn't do it regularly thats for sure!

Most laser cutters have camera systems now for print cut applications

Summa makes a large format laser cutter for cutting fabrics and textiles, I assume this is what they are using.

3. TomK

TomK Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Virginia
    Yea exactly what I've read. I know there is special vinyl that is laser friendly, but no idea the cost. Maybe they are using that?

4. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Their decals are not Vinyl. They use BOPP materials and polyester lams.

5. TomK

TomK Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Virginia
    What's bopp?

6. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Polypropylene

7. TomK

TomK Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Virginia
    Interesting, reading on PP and it says best for indoor use only.

8. Jester1167

Jester1167 Premium Subscriber

All the major brands have adopted a non-PVC version of their print material; 3M IJ480c then ORAJET 3981, Avery MPI 1405. You might research them. P.S. all companies use the same vinyl facestock because of patent rights.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    BOPP is Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene. It is widespread in the label and sticker markets.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Jburns

Jburns Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Denver
    • Like Like x 1