• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laser Engraving/Cutting

Charlie J

Looking to get into laser engraving/cutting. I'm wondering why there's not a section in the forum for this.

Anyways, to my main questions:

Can I cut gatorfoam with a 75watt epilog laser?

I'm looking to make some outdoor dimensional letters. Is there a better material that can be cut on a laser? Sign-Foam is out of the budget.

CES020

A fair number of substrates that work great for signs are a big no-no for lasers. You cannot cut anything that has PVC in it. When the PVC is hit with the laser, it creates toxic gas that will destroy the inside of the laser, and possibly harm your health if you're breathing it in any way.

I can't think of too many substrates I cut for signs with our laser, other than acrylic and materials like that.

In my opinion, a CNC router would be a much better investment than the laser if you plan to cut sign shapes, parts, etc.

We have a laser and a router. We bought the laser 3-4 years before the router. If I had to do it all over again, I would have done it the other way around.

The laser can make you some money, but you end up with the overall dollar amount of jobs being fairly small. With the router, the overall dollar amount tends to be much higher. Our laser took some time to generate enough money to cover it's expense. Our router paid for itself in about 6 months.

Just my opinion.

Charlie J

Thanks for the reply.

A friend of mine has owned the laser for a few years now. So I'm trying to get an idea of some of the cool things I'll be able to make with it.

whatsinaname

Vinyl cutting using laser

Can these laser engravers be used to cut regular Vinyls with accuracy as good as the cutting plotters?

CanuckSigns

We currently have 2 Trotec lasers and have been laser engraving for the last 10-12 years, so if you have any questions about them you can shoot me a PM. As far as cutting gator foam, i would think the amount of heat generated would melt the inner foam core of the material, but you might be able to do it by doing 2 or 3 lighter passes.

As someone else mentioned anything with PVC in it is a big no no, the gas created will corrode the aluminum parts inside the laser and will instantly void the warranty, and yes there is pvc in vinyl, that's ot to say we have never used ours to do things like cut vinyl, but the machine was already out of warranty, and the amount of pvc in vinyl we felt would not harm the machine.

our experience was the opposite of CES020, we just bought our second laser about 8 months ago, and it is already paid for, it all depends in how you market these machines abilities!

CES020

I agree, I know people with lasers that keep them running all the time. We're in a different market than them, so for us, it was a challenge. Having said that, we're looking at our second laser now.

It's all about what you do.

SolitaryT

We just got a Universal M-360. Looks pretty cool. We were wondering if you could cut phinalic on it. Is this possible?

Custom_Grafx

For the record... the "no no" and "toxic" thing about cutting PVC is that it releases Chlorine gas (C stands for Chloride). This stuff makes you cough up blood by irritating your lungs, as was demonstrated in wartime. To the machine, yes, it just corrodes the metal components in the machine much faster than usual. You also don't get a clean finish trying to cut vinyl anyway. I did a spot test once, and no good.

A small format laser (like we are talking about here), is not so great for dimensional lettering... it's more for intricate and small items. Think awards, promotional items, industrial marking applications and the such.

Cut thin woods, acrylic, paper, card... mark acrylic, stainless, wood, etc etc.

The laser's strenght over a router, hands down, is the level of intricacy you can achieve, and the elimination of any internal/external radius on corners and the such. You also don't need to worry about tool costs and sharpening (obviously).

You tube some laser stuff and you'll get some ideas of what it can do.

As it stands I currently have around 10 years overall experience working on small format co2 lasers. A trotec, and a universal. Both great machines. Currently running a small universal.

I also have experience running computerised engraving machines prior to that (which I don't use anymore because of the laser), and prior to that I used to pantograph a little, but in my 2nd or so year of learning, things started moving to computer. The last time I ran a decent job on a panto was in 2007 or 8 I think... and I no longer have it :(

Anyway, any questions feel free to ask or PM.

PS, for big fat chunky thick letters using cheap materials, definitely a router is better like the guy above said :)