• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion Latex 850 - Current / Past Users

BALLPARK

Hello All,

We are looking at purchasing a 2012 HP Latex 850. It has about 470k square feet printed on it. It looks to be in great condition and the seller had it decommissioned and ready to ship by HP techs.

It's always a risk purchasing used equipment. We were lucky with our last purchase of a Vutek QS series printer. It has been a workhorse with no issues, but the HP machines are not high quality builds like the upper level flatbed printers. This is my major concern on how long it will last. It's easy to get 48 to 60 month financing on a Vutek from 2007 to 2011. Our leasing company was not thrilled about doing an HP 2012 more than 48 months and that speaks volumes to me about the quality of the build.

If you currently own one or have used one for 1-2 years, then please let me know how well things worked for you with the printer.

How many times a month did it go down with an issue that required maintenance?

How easy is it to change the inks?

How many liters did you get out of your heads? I have seen the heads online for a little bit below $600, but not sure how long each will last.

Did you use the printer with Caldera RIP? If so, any issues that come to mind?

Did the printer do well with the 120"+ rolls of banner? 13 oz gloss, 8 oz mesh, and 10 oz mesh.

Would you buy one (used in good condition - 23k installed w/ training) today knowing what you know about the machine?

I have a friend that makes me think twice about purchasing the machine b/c of his research in to them and we are not going to have a service plan. I'm excited about the latex features and we only want this machine b/c of it's size of 126" and dual roll printing. Otherwise we would look into the 360's and 560's. We need the 126" for the larger banners as we are limited to an 80" max print width right now.

We plan to use the printer for our decals, banners, soft short term signage, posters, vehicle wraps (3MIJ180), and wall wraps (phototex). We want to keep our flatbed printer for mainly our rigid media, when possible.

We will not be printing 8 hours a day. We print between 2-4 hours most days. But we hope to fix that issue soon. ;)

I really appreciate any thoughts... good or bad on the printer. We are ready to buy this one and risk it much like we did with the used Vutek.

Again... thank you for taking the time to let me know any issues or great perks about the printer.

Have a great weekend!!!

danno

How many times a month did it go down with an issue that required maintenance? Depends on the mood of the machine. Varies from 0 - 2 for us.

How easy is it to change the inks? Very easy. Plug and print.

How many liters did you get out of your heads? I have seen the heads online for a little bit below $600, but not sure how long each will last. On average 2 cartridges for optimum colour quality.

Did you use the printer with Caldera RIP? If so, any issues that come to mind? We use Onyx.

Did the printer do well with the 120"+ rolls of banner? 13 oz gloss, 8 oz mesh, and 10 oz mesh. Banner is great. Mesh on our machine only works when it has a backer.

Would you buy one (used in good condition - 23k installed w/ training) today knowing what you know about the machine? Probably not.

BALLPARK

No, I have not purchased the printer as of now. I was waiting to here back from a few more current/past users.

jmcnicoll

The printer can print great at times, but not everything. We have issues with heavier blues and purples. At times it prints great!

2,000 to 5,000 ml of ink per head before replacement, on average about 3,500 ml per head for us.

Make us an offer on our LX 850!