• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Latex or Oil Based for Painted wood signs?

Pippin Decals

I normally do just decal lettering on glass,vehicles,banners and similar but I have a new job i picked up and it requires me to paint some sign board,I know what material to use but i am confused and what paint to actually use.

1. I know im supposed to use semi gloss correct ? Or do i use a pure gloss?

2. Also does one out-gass faster than the other so the vinyl can be applied sooner ?

3. I was told to use oil based rustoleum brand as well.. Oil based is still sold here despite new laws.

4. Or should i use a different brand of product?

I live in Northern California in Redding,
And since its starting to get really warm here how long should i wait till apply my vinyl lettering ?

I appreciate all your info and advice .

signgirl

I've always used oil base for mdo signs. I've never used rustoleum brand but it should work! I started using the pre painted mdo boards a long time ago

Gino

Premium Subscriber
All paints, regardless of the base, need time to dry and cure. Most are dry to the touch within hours, but curing is what really matters. Different paints have different curing times. There's no real way to tell, so that's why so many say to wait 2 or 3 days up to 10 days and some say 30 days...... or more.

First place I worked at, used rustoleum. It never seemed to last all that long, but we were hand pianting over it. On my own, I used 1shot bulletin paints and was slowly introduced to the other good brands. You could get many years out of that paint. Today, not so much.

I would say, if you can find a good brand of oil-based go for it, if they can match the color you need. Make sure you prep the board and prime it and give it at least two top coats, with a sanding in between the two top coats. Allow it to dry at least 3 days after the final coat and do all your coats very thin. Don't pile the paint on. That's no good. If your color didn't cover, give it a third top coat.

My theory has always been to use as gloss a paint as I can. Paint, naturally oxidizes and that will slowly make your paint look satin. If you start out with satin, flat or whatever, it's just gonna weather faster.

Billct2

What kind of "sign boards" are you using?
My first option is always to try to use a prefinished product.
If that's not possible then the materials used vary with the type of project.

We use Rustoleum oil based paints on MDO and they hold up very well. The only problem that we've had in the past is trying to mix custom colors. The Rusto white gallons are topped off pretty full so there's not much room left for adding pigment if you're looking for a dark shade of color. Light tints aren't as much of an issue. I'd also recommend rounding all corners with at least a 1/4" roundover bit to prevent the paint from fracturing along the edges of the panel. With latex paint that's not really a problem so much because latex paint expands and contracts with the wood whereas oil based paints are pretty hard when fully cured. We don't use latex paint though because most adhesives just don't adhere well to it, so oil/alkyd is our first and only choice.

rossmosh

If you do a search under my name. I've answered this question a few times over the last year or so.

The short answer is: Oil or Latex works. Latex you have to be more selective which paint to use but they can out perform oil based paints. Application is also important as Gino mentioned. Drying between coats is the key.

TimToad

Many latex paints have additives and compounds added to help scrubability and make things not stick as well for easy cleaning. If you are going to use a water based paint at all, I'd suggest Ronan acrylic bulletin enamels. I've found very few "latex" paints to be compatible with good adhesion for vinyl. Gloss paints tend to remain elastic longer which helps them expand and contract at a similar rate as your vinyl.

If you are going to be a part of the professional world of signmaking craft, get used to using and paying for industrial/commercial grade materials. Your work will last longer, your customers will appreciate the fact that their sign didn't fade or fall apart in a couple years time and your fellow signmakers won't take your name in vain every time they see the jobs you underbid them on falling apart prematurely because you skimped on industrial grade materials. We are part of a large fraternity and need to think beyond just getting the next job and doing it as cheaply as possible.

Pippin Decals

What kind of "sign boards" are you using?
My first option is always to try to use a prefinished product.
If that's not possible then the materials used vary with the type of project.

I use a MDO board that has a smotth surface on it .I have used it before and painted it but i was having a hard time finding the Oil based again here in california .

Pippin Decals

We use Rustoleum oil based paints on MDO and they hold up very well. The only problem that we've had in the past is trying to mix custom colors. The Rusto white gallons are topped off pretty full so there's not much room left for adding pigment if you're looking for a dark shade of color. Light tints aren't as much of an issue. I'd also recommend rounding all corners with at least a 1/4" roundover bit to prevent the paint from fracturing along the edges of the panel. With latex paint that's not really a problem so much because latex paint expands and contracts with the wood whereas oil based paints are pretty hard when fully cured. We don't use latex paint though because most adhesives just don't adhere well to it, so oil/alkyd is our first and only choice.

I had used Rustoleum before and its only white that i use for colors right now..And i do round the corners and seal it with a good paintable silicone. and then paint over that,

Pippin Decals

Thank you everyone for the info ..It was a huge help in deed,,,In return for every ones info, iF any one ever needs a vehicle outline i have a collection i bought that i ended up not using for up to 2016 models etc which sucks that i spent so much money on it but decided not to get into print or full wraps, so the files sit on my computer.....,Im willing to share 1-2 files for each person, just send me a message and ill give you the link of where to go to tell me the file name i need of what you are looking for . Thank you .