• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Latex Printable Foldable Map Material/ Tyvek?

I have a customer that wants to do a series of maps. Only requests are lightweight, thin, water-proof. I was thinking like a Dupont Tyvek roll. I was wondering if anyone has had luck with this material through a latex machine. Preferably the L300 series. Or if anyone has printed foldable maps up.

J Hill Designs

lexjet has tyvek for latex tech. 11mil, so I would get a sample before pulling the trigger

google has a bunch of listing for latex printable tyvek

lexjet has tyvek for latex tech. 11mil, so I would get a sample before pulling the trigger

google has a bunch of listing for latex printable tyvek

I've seen a bunch online. I really was hoping for some end user experience. Or what others have done in a similar situation. Definetely a sample first. Has anyone played with tyvek. How does it fold?

jfiscus

Rap Master
Sihl has some interesting materials, but I know nothing about how they print on latex.
Possibly their wet strength poster paper 3196? or their 3629 polypropylene film?

Sihl has some interesting materials, but I know nothing about how they print on latex.
Possibly their wet strength poster paper 3196? or their 3629 polypropylene film?

Have you used any of these materials.... regardless if on a latex machine. Just wondering about the folding. I know I had a sihl waterproof before but if you folded it it would break at the fold pretty much.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Tyvek is overkill and expensive, plenty of polypro's that will do that application for a fraction of the cost and will be fine in Latex.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I think tyvek will work perfect.

here is a sample I printed (l25500) years ago trying to use tyvek for a roll to roll sign at a ball park.

folds nicely too.

CAM00130[1].jpg
CAM00129[1].jpg

FrankW

I have tested very thin Tyvek, and it works with the old latex (so it should do with the new too). There is thinner Tyvek available as I have tested, but for inkjet-printing a coating is needed.

For printing maps too, I have tested Polyart Synthetic Paper on a 360. I run into problems not because of printing on it, but because of feeding: I had just sheets available, and this media is so lightweight that the vacuum avoids moving forward when the media moved... so the print head crashes into the edges. But this could be solved with printing on a roll with the take-up is set up. Desparately searching for a Supplier for Polyart on rolls :(

Stinky Prints

As a print shop owner + user of maps in the backcountry it looks like the OP's customer is looking for a finished product similar to the waterproof/tearproof backpacking maps from Earthwalk Press (https://www.amazon.com/Grand-Teton-...earthwalk+press&qid=1557082388&s=books&sr=1-3)

I've tried with our aqueous inkjet on tyvek, polypro and few other materials. The maps were waterfast enough, but the ink has a tendency to flake off with very little use / folding. We're installing our Latex 365 this week, so I haven't yet tried on Latex, but am curious if the image will stay intact after repeated folding on any paper printed on Latex? We won't be diving into other print technologies anytime soon, so printing these in limited quantities on Latex would be great. Thoughts?