• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Latex vs Eco/Solvent vs UV Inks

brycesteiner

Upfront: I own a Mutoh VJ 1324 Eco-Solvent

I was talking to my Fellers Rep the the other day and I was saying i was thinking of getting a UV printer because of scratch resistance compared to eco-solvent.

Basically his response was they're not that much better, they are expensive (starting $60k), it's not good for vehicle wraps because the ink is not as pliable and will crack. Not great for banners for same reason. They are good for metal/glass and 'stiff' substrate. Eco/solvents is the only ink that truly soaks in because it "melts" the plastic slightly. Then about latex it was it's okay and more pliable than UV but not much different because it doesn't soke in, it's faster at drying but can also peel off.

Can UV inks not be used for banners and vinyl, wraps etc?
Latex has issues like scratching too? Can Latex be used for metal and glass? I know Solvents never could.

I'm assuming that even if UV and Latex can be used for vinyl and wraps you would still laminate for a consistent smooth look and extra protection.

Thanks for your thoughts as I look for another machine.

Signs Express

We have all three in our shop... UV, Latex and Eco-Sol. Long story short very few (if any) UV curable ink have the flexibility and stretchability for vehicle wrapping. A flexible UV curable ink is suitable for products that might be rolled such as banners, but where it really shines is direct print to rigid materials. This is assuming you get a flatbed or hybrid set up.

Latex and Eco-Sol can for the most part be used interchangeably. They boast similar fade resistance (claimed) and from what I've noticed fairly similar scratch resistance. Latex does indeed cure on top of the material, where as Eco-Solvent bites into the material. Being water based, latex does allow for printing on some substrates that a solvent based ink cannot. That said, latex cures instantly with significant heat, where as Eco-Solvent partially cures with a fairly low heat (and continues to cure over the next 24 or so hours). This comes into consideration with what you are printing on.

The only way your are going to print to any rigid substrate with an Eco-Sol or Latex printer will be printing to adhesive material first, then mounting it.