• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

latex vs. solvent

Popular Graphics

Hi all, I have been outsourcing to a friends shop for the last few years and I am ready to go it on my own. I am looking at purchasing the Mutoh 1324x or the hp latex 110.
Prices are considerably different. Anyone have these models currently and can tell me what they like/don't like would be greatly appreciated in making the right decision for my shop.

thanks.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Keep your eyes open for deals, many different brands are currently running sales.
If you're interested in saving money most of your distributors also have slightly used models available also. (lease returns or demo units)
Personally, I still don't really like the HP latex here as far as user-friendliness for advanced users, but it might be great for someone just getting into the industry.

rjssigns

Here is what I know from running latex and solvent in two completely different environments. Roland and HP are what I use.

Latex printers are made for long runs. Load the media and walk away. You can't run small pieces with latex either. IIRC you need at least 42" for it to feed and register. Also don't care for the loading regimen of latex. By the time I change media out of a latex printer I can have the job running in a solvent machine.
Best part about a latex is you can do whatever you want with the prints right away.

Rolands are much easier/faster to load. Also like the fact I can use small pieces with no issues. I make good money on pieces that a latex won't even feed. It is also super easy to run comps on the "tails" from other jobs.

If you want to utilize every last little nub of media you can't beat a Roland. I imagine other solvent printers are the same.

What it boils down to is what you are producing. And I'll give you the same advice I give everyone looking to buy a printer.

If there is a printer dealer just down the street from your shop buy the brand they're selling regardless of solvent or latex. Why? Printers break, and at the worst possible time. When you're staring at a deadline you want a tech on site "yesterday". Saving a thousand bucks buying a printer from someone two states away will cost you big down the road.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here is what I know from running latex and solvent in two completely different environments. Roland and HP are what I use.

Latex printers are made for long runs. Load the media and walk away. You can't run small pieces with latex either. IIRC you need at least 42" for it to feed and register. Also don't care for the loading regimen of latex. By the time I change media out of a latex printer I can have the job running in a solvent machine.
Best part about a latex is you can do whatever you want with the prints right away.

Rolands are much easier/faster to load. Also like the fact I can use small pieces with no issues. I make good money on pieces that a latex won't even feed. It is also super easy to run comps on the "tails" from other jobs.

If you want to utilize every last little nub of media you can't beat a Roland. I imagine other solvent printers are the same.

What it boils down to is what you are producing. And I'll give you the same advice I give everyone looking to buy a printer.

If there is a printer dealer just down the street from your shop buy the brand they're selling regardless of solvent or latex. Why? Printers break, and at the worst possible time. When you're staring at a deadline you want a tech on site "yesterday". Saving a thousand bucks buying a printer from someone two states away will cost you big down the road.

So very very true.

Just look around at most of the threads with 'Help Me' in the title. They all revolve around someone in a big jam...... or don't know a font. Which one is gonna cost ya ??​

Ditchmiester

I've never run a solvent printer. Our first printers were both HP Latex 260's. So this is from my biased opinion. I think this printers are bullet proof. We have been running them for about 4 years each and they have been fantastic. I disagree with the speed of loading the printers. It only takes me about 2 minutes to unload and load the printers. It is true that they work best for long runs and we do use one of ours specifically for 1 material that we just load roll after roll of and the other one we use for all the other materials. They also will print and stick to basically any material. There isn't a material that i've put in it that I haven't been able to stick too. Being able to laminate prints right off of the printer was the big reason we went with the Latex over Solvent. I don't really have a bad thing to say that other than I do kind of agree with RJ in the fact it does kind of suck to not be able to use ever last foot of material on the roll but we have built that into our pricing so its not costing us.

greysquirrel

I have run them all...for a first printer the 110 is the perfect solution..smaller ink cartridges, self install(make sure you take online cours to get you 6m warranty extension) you change your own PRINTHEADS...ZERO daily Maintenance...swabs solution and time add up after a year...

with a solvent printer you will eventually need a tech and money if out of warranty to change a Printhead...

you will have to buy wiper blades, captops, and at a minimum kitty litter to dispose of your waste ink...

these are all consumables on the latex but....wiper blade/captop/waste ink (maintenance cartridge) on the 110 will be replaced every 4 sets of ink and you change your own PRINTHEADS...every 8-10 cartridges!

your cost per sq' (includes PRINTHEADS/ink and maintenance cartridge is $.25/sq' production mode...8pass

go latex and don't look back...

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You can't go wrong with either of them and they both have advantages. Solvent is a proven solution and has been around much longer than latex. Latex, however, has captured about 50% of the market in a very short time. Solvent is more toxic and harmful to the environment but I believe it has better outdoor durability than latex so far from what I have seen. I have been hearing from my tech friends that they have been working on Latex machines much more recently and with many more problems than before which tells me that the first and second generation Latex machines are starting to show their true colors as far as longevity goes. Latex machines tend to have cheaper parts though so in the long run that may not matter as much.

CanuckSigns

I'm toying with this myself, we currently have a Roland, it's our 3rd printer, all have been Rolands, all have been workhorses! here is what I have noticed:

-The cleaning/maintenance is really not that bad, our Roland is cleaned when needed, if it starts to show banding or drops of ink on the print, we clean it, it takes about 10 minutes, we do it about 2 times a month or just before we run a large job.

- I've never replaced a print head on any of my Rolands, the longest i've owned a single printer is 5 years, I figure if I add up all the money i've saved by not having consumable printheads over the last 4 years, I will have easily paid for a new printhead when the time comes. On the HP's from what I've heard from other shops that run them, they change printheads about 3 times a year, each head is $150, 6 heads per change =$2700 a year on printheads with the HP.

-the majority of the work we do is dry enough to laminate or finish withing a few hours, granted we don't do wraps which I understand does have issues if you don't let the prints dry fully. but for banners, decals etc. we've been laminating/trimming right off the printer for 9 years with no issues.

I must say, I do like some of the features of the HP, such as the front loading (you can push the printer against a wall and save space) no smell, ability to print fabrics and less expensive ink are all enticing.

at the end of the day, go with the machine that has the best service and support in your area.