• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Launching a product. Need to fill in knowledge gaps.

jchamberlin

Hi Everyone

I had an idea for a niche product and after interviewing potential customers there seems to be enough demand to research solutions. I don't have much domain knowledge, so I'm hoping the experts on this forum can help fill in the gaps.

Product: identical to wall murals.
Production: looking to outsource printing (as to focus our efforts on customer acquisition, branding, etc.)
Shape: rectangle. No custom shapes, letters or weeding.
Size: 4'x6' (roughly estimation) A few sizes may be offered based on customer need. Unlikely to offer custom sizes.
Graphics: largely custom one-offs. Some general images to be pre-printed.
Format: vectors and jpegs
Finish: Matte
Adhesive: Self adhesive. Removable and adjustable, but not static cling. No paste or water.
Installation: by customer
Short Lead time: High importance.

1. What printing style and material would you recommend and why?

I'm leaning toward vinyl with a latex ink. It's safe for indoor use, doesn't require a gassing period and would give us a shorter delivery period. I don't know if this process requires a laminate layer to create the matte finish.

2. What is the industry term for this type of printing?

Does this work fall under "large format printing" or another type? What should I google?

Thanks for your help. JC

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd really like to help you, but I don't see how I can. I don't want to second guess the establishment in these here parts, but I don't see in your profile how you are in any way, shape or form in the sign industry ??

If you are intending to be a broker of sorts, again, I'm not too keen on that either, but the world needs them too, from what I hear.
Wishing you well and big success in your niche market, if you figure it out. :rock-n-roll:

Christian @ 2CT Media

I have the perfect material for this very application... I have been testing it for the last year on client self-installs and I have nothing but good things to hear about it. As with Gino I don't want to give away the farm to some one not in industry... if you want to give us background on who you are and what you do maybe we will be a little more forthcoming.

Showoffs

SHOWOFFS
New Product Source

I have been using Indy Imaging INC My Rep is Jason Taylor They are great on price lots of room for marking up and fast fast turn around time they do just about any type of printing Recommend very highly...Drop my Business name if you do contact Jason, My Business name is SHOWOFFS and my name Sylvia Brohawn...
http://www.indyimaging.com/

MikePro

basically, you want printed posters with adhesive backing? brilliant!
phototex, graphitex, walltex, jarhead, fathead are all brands of existing wallscaping materials.
find someone in your area that has access to these materials, like a sign company, that has a liquid laminator and will work with you.

trying to outsource anywhere else will not likely meet your fast turn-around expectations.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Better get ready to buy your own printer in a very short amount of time. After constant barrage of one or two custom prints every day your wholesaler will start to slip on the quick turnaround. Especially if they get their own large jobs frequently. No one will care about your customers like you do.

Phototex has a matte appearance with solvent printers, not sure about latex. You can liquid lam just about anything to make it gloss, luster or matte and it is cheap.

Just my two cents.

Better get ready to buy your own printer in a very short amount of time. After constant barrage of one or two custom prints every day your wholesaler will start to slip on the quick turnaround. Especially if they get their own large jobs frequently. No one will care about your customers like you do.

Phototex has a matte appearance with solvent printers, not sure about latex. You can liquid lam just about anything to make it gloss, luster or matte and it is cheap.

Just my two cents.

Agreed, you're eventually going to need your own printer and shop setup. Best to test the market first from a local shop and see if there is an opportunity to work together, but you have to realize that this material is pretty specialized and so that will require your printer to change out materials every time you need to print 1 or 2. Not a huge incentive for the shop owner unless you can find a way to batch orders but based on the short turnaround needs that may not be possible.