• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lava inks?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Anyone ever tired Lava inks? I'm currently herding a Mutoh Falcon Outdoor 48 and all I've ever used have been OEM inks.

They, of course, tout instant plug-in and 100% profile compatibility. The price is certainly right for the Lava inks but the stilted language and lack of a toll-free number on their rather crude web site scream 'Pacific Rim'. I conjure up thoughts of infuriating conversations in pidgin English and all of the woes associated with doing business with people from that region.

It's taken me a long time to, if not master, at least deal with the foibles and idiosyncrasies of this printer and if I can't hit the ground running with Lava or any other after-market inks, I'll stick with the OEM products.

Replicator

but the stilted language and lack of a toll-free number on their rather crude web site scream 'Pacific Rim'.

Hey, some of us here live on the left coast there buddy . . . !

Now if you're referring to the other side of the the water, then I'm OK with it :rolleyes:

Flame

Lava is Canadian, and their inks are horrible.

I bought a set for my Mutoh Falcon, and the colors were duller than OEM, the smell was considerably different (smelled like solvent... burned), and they didn't bond as well as oem, they would wipe off with a fingernail 5 days after being printed. I printed $1500 worth of banners and they brought them all back because every time they bent the banners, it left white creases.

Stay far far away from Lava...

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Lava is Canadian, and their inks are horrible.

I bought a set for my Mutoh Falcon, and the colors were duller than OEM, the smell was considerably different (smelled like solvent... burned), and they didn't bond as well as oem, they would wipe off with a fingernail 5 days after being printed. I printed $1500 worth of banners and they brought them all back because every time they bent the banners, it left white creases.

Stay far far away from Lava...

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll stick with OEM inks for the nonce.

Jackpine

Cabond digital has a good quality ink. Plug n' play compatible with the Mutoh Ultra inks. They sent me a sample cartridge of magenta and when I used it I saw no difference.

Color Dude

I would never use any after market inks other than Triangle. Using aftermarket inks your asking for issues. I was busy three weeks ago working on 5 different Roland printers because Fellers decided to promote some new eco friendly inks, and it wiped out several dampers and 2 heads. To say the least if you try it, you better be ready to suffer the after effects of replacing parts. Stick with the OEM inks.

chopper

I use alta ink, see banner at the bottom of the page, no issues at all been it my roland for over a year
//chopper

Color Dude

Thats great, but you run a printer, I repair them, big difference. I see more in a week than you may experience in a year. I am speaking from a professional stand point. Alot of sign shops cant afford to repair their printers. Its a gamble to put non-oem inks in a machine.

Please dont take my comments wrong, I am not barking back, I am just stating that if you want consistant results use the oem inks.

Alot of people have no idea what new style inks that are not really tested do to rubber & plastic parts in a machine, such as o-rings, dampers, manifolds that the dampers attach to on the printhead. Aggressive inks do damage to this stuff and do you think they are going to repair your printer if you change over and then start experiencing a ton of problems? I think not. What about color shift. Are there profiles out there for the new style inks? Have the inks been tested on the top rated vinyls? If so what are the results? A salesperson will tell you anything to sell something. I should know, I worked for one of the largest sign supply companies, and you would not believe the things I used to hear. Once the saleperson does their job and sells it, are they going to tech support the issues? NOPE they pass it off to the TS staff and they have to deal with it. Pigment & solvent levels in inks are very important, if your going to try new inks, I would have to suggest to have a set of oem inks sitting on the shelf ready, just in case.

These are things I would think about

Have a great day