Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laying down 210 Lam

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Colin, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    I’ve switched from LG print vinyl & lam to Oracal 3651 and 210 lam, but I’ve noticed that when laying down the 210 lam onto the vinyl (using the Big Squeegee method), it is not possible without having someone lift & pull the backing paper.

Right at the start, the moment the face of the lam backing paper comes into contact with the vinyl, it grabs like crazy (stiction), and will not release when pushing the B/S.

Other brands release nicely and skim across the face of the vinyl print without the need to lift & pull.

Any work-around on this?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
    Tags:
  2. Patentagosse

Patentagosse Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Joliette, Quebec (Canada)
    All I can say is Oracal's 210G is a great laminate, superior gloss level, very li'l "silvering effect" compared to other brands BUT... I use a laminator so pressure is even and the take-up saves me from this issue. Good Luck.

3. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    You will eventually get onto it because you HAVE to, but that stuff sucks. It's great quality, but with the BS method...it doesn't have an incredible success rate the bigger the piece you try.

I fought that for 6+ years, and just recently ordered Arlon. Feller's started carrying it, and it's got a mega heavier liner on it, so it doesn't buckle when you try to lay it down. I'm doing full sheets of vinyl no problem now. Best move I ever made.

4. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    What is the equivilent to the 3651 / 210 combo in the Arlon calendered series?

5. Jack Knight1979

Jack Knight1979 Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Maine
    I've always needed someone to pull the paper up when I laminate that stuff. It's a nice thick laminate though. I like it. Just need to have four hands is all.

Dale did a youtube video showing how you can lam 210 with a core and one person, but I've never had any luck trying that method. He whips it out no problem. Give it a look. Maybe you'll have better luck.

6. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Compared to the LG I was using, it's very thin, including the backing paper.

7. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    I found the video. The comments below it seem to indicate that this 2-sided tape method is practicable on ~30" wide or less.

Looks like I may need to switch to Arlon.

8. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    I take an old 3" core (tube) and pull the liner with it rolling it up as I go.
    Can do a 4x8 no problem....laminator works WAY better though!

9. Out There

Out There Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Washington
    I tried this method a few times and gave up on it. Briteline lam has a thin backing also. I've learned to push with one hand and pull the backing up with the other.

However, I might get a roll of Arlon also and try it out also.

10. LittleSnakey

LittleSnakey Member

Jan 12, 2008
    DPF4560GTX air release vinyl And 3420g (gloss) laminate for Arlon calendered vinyl.

Yes Lg is thicker or more rigid we noticed that when we tried it once. The prints would roll up when coming out of the laminator and do not with arlon.

Next....... and biggest problem is the big squeegie...... although I am surprised how many people do it........ its no replacement for a laminator.

Good luck

11. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

It is when you don't have one !! For Pete's sake, that's the whole idea behind that tool. Until someone can afford money-wise or space-wise... this is the next best thing.

You use the tools you have. Just make good use of them and perfect them.

12. LittleSnakey

LittleSnakey Member

Jan 12, 2008
    we have 2 bs's just don't laminate with them.
    sorry but if you need to laminate something a laminator works much better and if you are a sign shop you should have one.

13. Speedsterbeast

Speedsterbeast Active Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Thunder Bay
    That's the nature of the beast of 210.
    I have been using a BS on 30" for a while.
    Longer runs require you to bunch the backing paper in your hand as you go or make a cautious pause when running the squeegee.
    You will get used to it if you stay with the 210.

14. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

Perhaps you should just clarify yourself a little better.

If one was in a real sign shop, they would have flatbeds, CNC's, welders, screen presses, neon benders, grand format printers 14' wide, brushes, mahl sticks, laser and plasma cutters and.... oh that's right.... you're just talking about a step above hand laminating.

Your statement is not wrong, just foolish to put your fellow tradesman down, just because they don't have the tools YOU have. Do you realize how small minded that is ??

I know plenty of people who can laminate with a big squeegee as well, if not better than any laminator and be more cost effective cause you're not pulling any electric when you simply cut a piece of lam off, size it up and wham.... it's done, before you could even turn the laminator on.

We just did two 4' x 8's yesterday, cause we didn't want to change out the laminator. Had 'em both done in less than 5 minutes. A little silvering and that was even gone in about an hour.
    Customer picked them up today and asked if we laminated them. He couldn't tell. :wink:
    Yep, it's always nice to have the proper tools to do the job, but not always a necessity... or a possibility.

15. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.

Gino, Dunno about that. Any basic sign shop need the basic tools. Flatbeds, and CNC's are not your basic tools. A cheap laminator on the other hand almost seems like a necessity...to any "basic" sign shop. Unless you don't laminate your prints, then i guess you're ok...?

16. LittleSnakey

LittleSnakey Member

Jan 12, 2008
    OK to clarify if you are using a digital printer that recommends using laminate, then when laminating you should use a laminator otherwise you are offering your customers a product that is not made as well as it should be. ie silvering and small bubbles.

We bought a laminator when we bought our printer not cause we had tons of money but because it was needed to do the job properly.

Hope this clarifies my comments and will always use a bs just not for laminating.
    Sorry to all who have been offended.

17. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    No offence taken. I think it all depends on the size of one's business. For me, I'm a one-man show, and not a hi-volume shop, and in the last 1.5 years of having my printer, not having a laminator has been just fine.

Thanks for all the replies.

18. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    I just use calendared with calendared and cast with cast, I mix and match brands.

19. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Yes, but I stock a cheaper cal (for the cheaper, shorter term jobs), and a premium cal for the longer term jobs, so I wanted to know what to replace the premium cal Oracal 3651/210 combo with in the Arlon line-up.

20. LittleSnakey

LittleSnakey Member

Jan 12, 2008
    arlon3420
    When you can afford one it may speed thing up for you. we are also a small shop and far from rich or closed minded.