• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Layout Suggestions

ddarlak

Go Bills!
so..... I took a sign down 16 months ago in January (Normally very, very cold here).

Guy calls to ask for price to take down a sign from a strip mall, its a Christmas store, so I figure it's a temporary sign and removal would be easy.

I told him $100 bucks, sign was only 3x8 PVC sign above the door and it was right next to my bank where I was headed anyway AND it was a freakish 60 degree day and I was like what the hell, gimme a hundo and i'll take it down after I hit up the bank.....

16 months later and a few hundred phone calls and dipchit still hasn't paid or picked up his sign.

Thing is, it wasn't a simple PVC signs, it was a 1/4" DiBond sign mounted to an aluminum 2" angle frame... this thing is built like brick chit house....

rather than call him anymore I decided to put up a new sign on my building, I folded a partnership 1.5 years ago and changed my business name, but never put up a new sign.

so, i will use his sign for my new one....

suggestions on the layout?? (the reason for the gray block in the background is the color of my brick building......)

frontal.jpg

Billct2

It's your logo, so not sure what else you'd do...web address? I would add a nice raised frame of some sort though.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Not a whole lot of signs plastered with websites, phone numbers and email addresses.

My opinion is, your sign should be as good as the best sign you have ever made. Slapping graphics on a white panel is not pushing the envelope of creativity. I don't think it needs to be a masterpiece, but adding dimension (either pinning it off the wall and/or adding dimensional letters), color and a shape other than a white rectangle might go a long way.

EDIT: Derped it, spell check!!!

Attachments

• niagAra.jpg
    niagAra.jpg
    998.6 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:

ddarlak

Go Bills!
my old sign was just that, I had left it up because it was cool and the name was signcrafters, so it was still technically correct.

during an insurance visit, i got a letter for having expired fire extinguisher and that the sign had to be removed as they thought i had two different companies in the building and they said that was a no-no for my insurance.....stupid morons.... so i ripped it down.

i really don't want to put any time in the sign other that reusing this guys old sign so when and if he every comes to get it i can tell him its gone...

i too felt that it was too much white space and I wasn't feeling anything creative, so i posted...

i like your rendition,(except for spelling niagara wrong) but i am not looking to change my logo, i like my cartoony-childlike structure and was hoping someone had an idea that might bring the background to life...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I totally get that you love your logo... Like JB shows, add color to the background, hopefully you are not so stuck on your typeface... if you are, tighten up your tracking, make the type the same size, play with your existing colors, maybe reverse the copy... add a header and/or footer... spell Niagara correctly...

Attachments

• niagara who.jpg
    niagara who.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 276

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if this is your main entrance or you're just putting it up, out back, but wouldn't it look better centered over the door and as far away from that restricted parking sign as you can get ??

C

ColoPrinthead

I feel that the red background takes attention away from your building/logo. Maybe blue background and put your text in red?

Marlene

is that really your shop entrance? I would clean up the door area and make the sign fit over it so at least it looks a little more friendly. the cutesy daycare graphic looks scary against that backdrop

ddarlak

Go Bills!
no thats not my entrance, that door and me had it out this winter when i couldn't open it because the ground lifted so much and the door was stuck.....got my sledge out and opened it....

C

ColoPrinthead

no thats not my entrance, that door and me had it out this winter when i couldn't open it because the ground lifted so much and the door was stuck.....got my sledge out and opened it....
Why aren't you putting the sign near your entrance?