• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Layover Wrap

K2

We are doing a labor only wrap install for a local beer distributing company on a 30' trailer. Nice flat and square. The problem is it has a wrap on it that was done from what I can tell is Avery 1005 wrap material with no laminate and colors are black and dark red. Of course removing will be extremely expensive and time consuming. I've tested it out and it's so thin that it just tears and breaks in small pieces, so the customer is asking about laying over it. The new wrap is 3M Wrap (laminated) with beige color mainly. My biggest concern is seeing the old wrap through the new, anybody know if you would be able to see through it? Any advise?

Three options given to customer:
Layover with new wrap - Cheapest
Layover with white vinyl then layover again with new wrap - Expensive
Remove old wrap, clean any adhesive off trailer and install new wrap - Extremely expensive

Joe House

What color of adhesive is on the 3m media? this might be enough to block out the old graphics. If you go with option 2, then use a gray vinyl instead of white - much better opacity to cover the old graphics.

I think if the old wrap is stuck tight, you should be able to go over the top alright- but I've not done it, so take that comment for what it's worth.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I would think you wouldn't get much bleed through with the color, since most 3M print media has a gray, relatively opaque backing. I'd personally be more worried about the new wrap failing because of some incompatibility issue between the existing wrap's ink and the adhesive, though I freely admit I have no idea if that would actually be the case.
The options you gave them seem to be the correct ones- it's up to them. But, at some point, the existing wrap is going to need to come off- and it's only going to get more expensive for the customer to get it done. You might want to point that out to them.

Christian @ 2CT Media

This is pretty common to this industry, we have some trucks we have done that have 5 or 6 layers before they get removed or repainted. 3M 180 has a good blockout and wont affect the upper layer too much.

rjssigns

Maybe try a steam pressure washer on the old wrap. Might be worth renting one for a couple hours.

AKwrapguy

You should be able to go over the existing wrap. I have done this many times for beverage distributors and depending on the amount of ink used/type of printing you will not see the colors come through but you might see the text and/or some of the design elements. I can look almost like it's embossed. Usually you can only see this a specific angles or lighting conditions but non the less it still a strong possibility.

Also if they do choose to just go over the existing wrap think about the warranty aspect of this as well.

T_K

In the end, I'd go with what the customer is willing to pay for. But I'd be careful to hedge against liability. I've told customers before "Option A is the best, but most expensive. Option B is a middle option, but here are the limitations. Option C is the cheapest, but we give no warranty and it must be paid in full up front."

Don't warranty the wrap if there's not a good base layer. Make sure there is written acceptance by the customer of any limitations or exclusions to warranty of the work.

Generally, I try to avoid the cheap and dirty options as it makes my life more difficult. Yet there's always that customer who will throw away dollars to save pennies.

Chuck B

Riff Meister
I would think you wouldn't get much bleed through with the color, since most 3M print media has a gray, relatively opaque backing. I'd personally be more worried about the new wrap failing because of some incompatibility issue between the existing wrap's ink and the adhesive, though I freely admit I have no idea if that would actually be the case.
The options you gave them seem to be the correct ones- it's up to them. But, at some point, the existing wrap is going to need to come off- and it's only going to get more expensive for the customer to get it done. You might want to point that out to them.
I just recently applied prints (IJ-40) over existing prints (that were IJ-40). I had recently done the original prints, and the new prints were done to change the colors of the graphics (requested by the client). Within days all of the prints started curling off of the substrate (ACM)...both prints. So the new prints stuck well to the existing prints, but I guess the two layers were moving in an incompatible way from heat and cold?....both prints curled away from the ACM. That said, I'll never stick a print on a print again.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Either option A or C. B is a waste of time, since A should have block-out gray adhesive already. A comes with a warranty, C doesn't.