• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Learned or Inherited

Are your ablities as a designer and craftsman learned or inherited?

• Learned

Votes: 25 29.8%
  • Inherited

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Both

Votes: 53 63.1%

• Total voters

Joe Diaz

I've seen a few posts lately about skill or talent being inherited. But is it? Are you born with artistic ability or is it something you develop?

I believe it may be a bit of both but I lean towards the idea that it is learned behavior.

Obviously no one can say for sure, but I'm interested to see what you all think.

speedmedia

Joe, I think it is a bit of both as well but it certainly is learned, developed and refined. If it where a "god given" talent we would all be awesome right out of the box, unfortunately I believe this is something you develop and become better at.

I have even seen some people with no ability at develop decent skill over time just by researching and developing over time.

Thanks,
Kurt

Letterbox Mike

I agree with zmat. I don't really think a person can "learn" artistic ability, either you have it or you don't. You learn to hone those skills, but you don't learn to be creative.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

My wife has been a Kindergarten teacher for 30 years, so we have some perspective on this. Over the years, she has brought home tons of artwork from her classroom. Invariably, every other year or so, she has one student who is light years ahead of their age group in art skills. I've seen one in particular I recall that was a drawing of a cat. It looked like it was drawn by an adult who had been an artist all their life. It was done in class so we know their parent didn't do it. I'd say that's good evidence for being born with it.

cptcorn

adad
How can it be a bit of both? You can't have one without the other if it's both. Inherited is a bad word for this... It assumes you've gotten it from your parents. Something clicks in people that make them excel beyond the norm, what that is, I don't know... It could just technically be a learned thing from the very very very very early beginning.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Great exercise.

I believe talent is what you are born with and must develop it to turn it into a skill. One can hone their talents and become great at what they understand. Many people have talents for all sorts of things and when you see someone with a natural knack for throwing a football, baking or cooking, driving a car very fast or playing a musical instrument…. we always say…. they missed their calling and laugh about it, but many times that is absolutely true.

Years ago the Russians and Chinese actually trained very young children into superstars and practically created talent in gymnastics, mathematics and many other areas to excel in certain arenas. The problem turned out to be, they were usually quite inept at anything else in life. Kinda like robots.

Pertaining to the sign or artistic end of the spectrum…. I believe with today’s computers and equipment…. one can very easily be trained to be good. That would be what I would call ‘Book Trained’. There are those that can draw, paint and convey from eye to hand just about anything… those are the artistic people and if they follow drawing as a career… can usually breeze through what others have great difficulty in learning, but when the natural artist tries to learn the technical end of things from scratch… they then are at somewhat of a difficult disadvantage.

So, years ago, it had to be a natural born talent, where today… I think you can learn the whole nine yards… minus the drawing capabilities. Yes, you now need both.

grampa dan

The talent we are born with only determines our starting point - not the finish line. While I know many folks who are very talented, I know only a few who had the passion to develop their talent into something usable. These are the ones who excel.

-grampa dan

rfulford

Mostly learned I believe. This is sort of a chicken or egg argument. Artistic talent requires encouragement. Artistic parents are more likely to encourage right brained endeavors. What would make the child of artistic parents excel in art or music? Would it be the genes or the encouragement? I believe encouragement.

Artistic people in my age bracket are rare because we were all raised in a SATocracy that encouraged left brain disciplines. There is an old story I read once. A famous designer whose name I forget spoke at several schools. In first grade and kindergarten classes, he would ask "How many artists do we have in the room?" Every hand would go up. In a third or fourth grade class, the same question would yield perhaps 1/4th of the class. By sixth grade, only a few hands would go up shyly while the students looked around the room embarrassed.

Thankfully, people are beginning to see the value of right brain thinking. Mostly because what used to be the guaranteed big money jobs are being automated or outsourced.

Jane Diaz

I agree with the left handed comment!
But I think it is an interest. If you are interested in something you will learn how to do it. I have no interest in learning to work on cars, learn to skateboard or try climbing mountains. Therefore I am NOT good at those. But if I want to learn how to do portraits or watercolors or whatever, I practice and learn how.
That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

Jillbeans

I voted "Both".
While I was that little artist in Kindergarten, I didn't know how to lay out signs then, or even spell.
Everyone in my family is good with their hands, or creative in some way.
But that all has to be harnessed and trained, I think.
A natural sense for color and balance is only enhanced by learning the rules of design & typography.
Love....Jill
PS Joe did you mean to say inherent

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
guido.gif
When I was much younger I had a superiority complex. Then I figured out that I was, in fact, definitely superior ... and it didn't bother me anymore.