• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Guy Learning How To Use Adobe Illustrator And Cutter For The First Time.

Erik J.

Hello everyone, my names Erik. I recently made the choice to invest some money in a Roland GS-24 Vinyl Cutter, along with the Adobe Creative Cloud program. I'm completely new to this entire industry and I'm looking for some tips for a beginner like myself. Im struggling as of now to really learn how to use adobe illustrator, and Ive been looking online for some tips and tutorials but can't seem to really fully understand how to use the tools. Any help, tips, tricks, tutorials, etc.. would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you everyone.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Youtube is your friend. There are lots and lots of tutorial on there.

Unfortunately there is only one good way to learn and that's the hard way. It's a grind and it never ends. There is always something to learn even for advanced users. Tutorial are good for most of the stuff but a lot of it is just practice. You must master the pen tool. It's the fundamental tool of the software. A good way is to download images of street signs and trace each one. Shapes with right angles are pretty easy but curves are going to be more difficult to get right. Practice enough with the pen tool that you can trace any basic shape with ease and you will be well on your way.

Erik J.

Right on, I really appreciate the advice, its just intimidating, so many tools, functions, programs, cutters, etc.. its a lot to take in at once, but your definitely right about practice. I guess ill just have to chip away at it one step at a time.
thank you for your help

WrapYourCar

Don't be scared by the many tools you'll probably find you only need to use some of them. You actually have it so much easier than when I started out! There was no youtube back then.. just had to play and learn...

Pippin Decals

If you need help learning Ai , Ill do my best to teach you .Im pretty good with it .Send me a Message to contact you by phone if you want..Im pretty positive i could have you designing and cutting within an hour using Ai and your cutter software .

Last edited:

AKwrapguy

Don't be too intimidated. I know that it looks like a lot but you most likely won't use 70% of the tools unless you designing for a living. Pen tool is going to be your best friend and also get comfortable with clipping mask and compound shapes. Another useful menu is the pathfinder menu.