• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Led backlit acrylic letters how to?

Chasez

Hi all so we're starting to look at getting into backlighting dimensional lettering (like photos-dont know if they uploaded, writing on phone) and i've got a few questions that I'm just not too sure of the led placement etc.. My thought on construction would be the acrylic face, pinned with a clear or signwhite behind but what I'm not sure about is the direction of the LED's. Do they face the wall or to the letter? The routed out channel in the backer peace, does it face the wall or letter? What is better strip LED's or modules? I was told by an electrical supplier that you dont want to cover up the led strips because of heat build up, or not to cover them with vinyl - is this true? Not sure if anyone would be willing to share construction on how this would be done but would be much appreciated.

411bd9dbf5af3a217e8731314362616b.jpg fad87e1b44b22fade868605563cff7ed.jpg

Chaz

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Everybody and their uncle makes these. Buy them from a wholesaler and save time and money.

If you just enjoy making things and aren't really worried about making a profit, those letters can be routed out of aluminum and white translucent acrylic. Rout out a channel for your LEDs in the plastic and the aluminum to avoid hot spots. LEDs face wall. Use strips (might have to experiment a bit to get right levels; it's easy to get it too bright). Do not cover back.

Make sure you are complying with local electrical codes, including UL requirements.