• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LED Conversions for Sign Cabinets

AKProbeGT

We've done a couple LED conversions for medium sign cabinets using Max-Brite lattice systems mounted to dibond or alumalite with good success but I'm now being asked to quote on a much larger project and wanted to get some advice. We are being asked to quote converting a large pylon sign to LED. Most of the bulbs in the pylon are out and we are already updating some panels in the pylon. The pylon has 6 cabinets, approximately 4' x 16', double-sided. The cabinets are probably 2' deep or so. I know there are some replacement "bulbs" with LEDs in them but I've never used them. Are they the way to go or should we stick with putting LEDs on a substrate? If we go the method of installing LEDs to a substrate is there a more economical solution than the lattice systems? I like the lattice but with this scale of a project cost matters more than our past projects.

reQ

we did 4x14 foot one by mounting led light strips on top & at the bottom of the box. Works pretty good.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Hanley has the perfect solution for this sign with their bulb replacements. Grimco sells them.

reQ

Hi reQ, so the two strips top/bottom gave you good even light over 4' ?

yes, top & bottom. Electrician did only top first, but i did not like how it looked, so he added led strip on bottom & i looks good

ams

Use the LED tube bulbs, they are mega bright and modules and strips aren't bright enough for that kind of depth. Also you will spend 3X more putting in substrates and lattices.
Alternatively you can do special modules, they have a very thin beam like a sheet of paper, they are excellent for cabinets.

BobM

Check the optimum "focal" distance on the bulbs to determine how many you need to do that depth.