• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Legman (Ironic)

amessana

Hello, I am not new to cutters but new to printers. I have a trusty old Roland PNC-1000 and FlexiPro 7.0 that has never given me a problem in the 10+ years I have owned it. I have lettered vehicles, banners and shirts for a while and finally want to purchase an outdoor printer. I have an HP Designjet 500 which is indoor only. I tried frog juice and prints last about a month in the sun so have been spending countless hours researching solvent type printers. Thanks to this forum I read some posts by a now banned user "Legman". I would love to jump into printing with a new versacamm or the like but would rather get my feet wet with a used printer. Hence, my research and reading these forums over and over everytime I find something used for sale. Ironically I came accross a Falcon Outdoor Jr. on ebay and tried to figure worst case having it refurbished locally. The local stores I have contacted only have newer used printers which are in the 10K range. I wanted to stay around 5K just to learn about inks and printing to see what my capabilities are before spluging on a 12K plus machine. Anyway, I came accross Legman from Dixon, IL under a different name on ebay trying to sell his Falcon that he asked so many questions about on these forums. His auction ends in the next 14 hours but thankfully I put 2 and 2 together and found out he is the Legman on this forum. He advertised not using the machine for the past 4 to 12 months (varying stories) and had the same attitude on ebay as he did on this site. Thanks to this site, I am not bidding on his auction and will continue to look for a starter printer. Someone bet him he would be out of the sign bus within a month and I guess you were right.
I have a construction company and we vanilla box stores and maintain shopping malls for several clients. I cut door numbers and temporary signs as part of our maintenance contract on a couple malls. Recently I cut some lettering for a candy / popcorn store in Illinois. The owner asked if I could make custom popcorn tin stickers displaying the name of the purchaser. People buying tins for clients wanted their company on the tins. The owner researched custom printing and I guess it was too expensive and the wait was too long for the stickers. He wanted them within a day. So I have been looking for a printer to get my feet wet since their might be a market for this. I can't imagine his orders would justify a NEW versacamm (cause I love my Roland) and although the construction market sucks right now, I don't have the time to get into heavy digital printing as a full time business.
So this post is to introduce myself and thank you for the great reading, let you know about legman which probably saved me a bundle, and ask if anyone had any suggestions on a starter printer.
Ok, I am ready for the hazing now, let-ur-rip.

Flame

Someone bet him he would be out of the sign bus within a month and I guess you were right.

I get a donut. Plain and simple. A cream filled donut with a star on top.

:rock-n-roll:

Welcome to the forums. Glad to see 101 is already doing your business some good.

BadAss

Welcome,
I am sure this site will be very helpfull to you. It sure has been great for us on learning SO MUCH MORE than we could have on our own... The hazing seems to come around, But there are some very knowlegable and friendly people on here...ENJOY... Mykel

Pat Whatley

...The owner researched custom printing and I guess it was too expensive and the wait was too long for the stickers. He wanted them within a day. So I have been looking for a printer to get my feet wet since their might be a market for this. I can't imagine his orders would justify a NEW versacamm

I've got to address that. The reason what he's looking for is so expensive is it's going to be an annoying mess when he starts calling and has to have 4 little decals tomorrow morning. Then two decals the next day. Then 6 decals but they want their logo on them. Sounds like a complete pain in the ass already.

Welcome aboard, though. You should find plenty of help to talk you through whatever used printer you find.

amessana

Yeah, I guess I can see why he hasn't had many interested vendors. At least I only work a few miles away. Plus I get free popcorn!

Ken

Keep an eye open for an SP300, I love mine..great for the kind of jobs you're thinking about. An amazing machine when matched with the right software.
I use Corel X3 and the Roland RIP, Colorrip v.2.
Cheers!
Ken

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Free popcorn won't feed your family or build your business. And, those gotta have it now one's and two's will come at the worst possible time. We have a minimum print charge and a minimum print cut charge.

Solve his and your problem by printing a standard label with a space for a name. He can write the name in or go by a stamping kit at the local hobby store.

Him "But that won't look as neat and will take to long."
You "It will have a personalized look and cost considerably less"
Him "I'd rather have you do it"
You "Ok, they will cost
"X" @ 1
"Y" @ 2 - 5
"Z" @ 6 - 10 ...
Him "how come they're so expensive. You just push a button and the machine kicks them out."
You "First I don't accept lists of names over the phone. I have been burned by a customer saying that's not what I told you even after I read the name back to them. I have to have a written copy for my records. There are alot of steps to the process and each one takes time. I have to open your file type in the name, export the file to the printer, open it in the printer, and prepare the file for printing (RIP) Now I have to load your material and set the heat settings.......... Then I have to invoice you, and you propably want free delivery too."

Obviously I would't say it like that to a customer, but I do take the time to make them understand what they think is simple has alot of steps and each one takes time.

A good sign person can steer the client into a win win situation.

Cadmn

you already have a printer that can do what your askin don't you? why you need ecosolvent for popcorn tins?

weaselboogie

Wasn't Legman betting 5K that he would outlast a month?

"and had the same attitude on ebay as he did on this site." how funny.