• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lettering for trucks and cars

Edna

I use Orajet 3164 for my truck lettering and race car lettering. How long should I wait before I weed and apply it. The first couple seemed like the ink made the vinyl soft and it was hard to put on.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Overnight would be a good start. Then laminate it and you should be good to go.

You do realize it is a short-term media with a water-based adhesive.

Edna

It says it is good for 4 years. Most guys don't keep thier trucks that long. And race Cars we re-letter at least 2-3 a year. What do you mean by laminate?

2B

Laminate?

is a protective film placed on top of the printed graphics that extend the life span.

would strongly suggest going through the "newbie" section and use the search function. there is LOTS to learn and know

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Orajet indicates you are digitally printing it. All digital prints should be laminated before they are applied. You really should do your homework before you go out and buy the cheapest thing you can find and start using it to find out if someone's graphics start peeling in a few months, you can tell them you didn't know what you were doing and made a boo-boo.

Did you also know, the 3164 is not at all recommended for vehicles of any sorts ?? It's for short term POP signs and totally flat short term signs like Cor-X aluminum and such.

Edna

They guy that sold it to me never said anything like that. He told me this stuff I have wil last 4-5 years. Is there a film that will last longer without laminate? I don't think the lettering we used to get for our race had a laminate on it, didn't look like it.

I do trucks and cars not Pop machines.

Edna

How much is it? I paid around $300 up in Omaha. I don't think I want to pay much more than that.

Edna

How am I suppose to make any money then? The other sticker guys do race car side raps for $450. That ain't much profitt.

2B

How much is it? I paid around $300 up in Omaha. I don't think I want to pay much more than that.

what exactly did you get for $300?

if it is a roll of 3164 with no graphics printed, you got ripped

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I like the name Edna, so I'm not gonna go much further here, but you honestly need to be studying more about your trade and treat it like a business, then pass the blame onto some salesperson who only gets paid when you buy something.

If I make a mistake on my income taxes, I can't blame anyone but myself, even if the rules changed. To be in business, one must know what they are doing or they don't have any business being in business.

It sounds rough, but it's the truth. We're all responsible for where we're at by our own decisions.

Edna

They are just stickers not rocket sciencist. I will find out what the
other sticker guys use at the track.

if it is a roll of 3164 with no graphics printed, you got ripped

Why how much should it be?

OldPaint

i have to say this and dont get P.O. as most people like you do when asked a couple of really hard questions ok?
WHY......are you in this business? some sign shop charge you to much for your own stock car lettering?
HOW MANY YEARS EXPERIENCE do you have at this?
DID YOU.....ever do any research into how this stuff is done?
HOW DO YOU EXPECT us to inform you.......ON THE BASICS???
YOU.......have to have some knowledge GAINED ON YOUR OWN.....not our job to educate you.

CP Signs

DECALS!!!!!! PLEASE USE THE WORD DECALS!!! It's a good start,,, decals will make you more money then stickers!!!! Oh wait,,,,, like you said, it's not rocket science!