• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Guy Lettering in cold

signbrad

Back in the day many sign painters used various additives in lettering colors. Kerosene, linseed oil, as well as commercial preparations like Penetrol and Chromaflo were all used. I believe the conventional wisdom now is to not to use any of them in the lettering colors as they are formulated today.
However, both a low temperature and a high temperature reducer are available under the One Shot label.
http://www.1shot.com/getmedia/931a0748-07e6-49d2-b14f-7752e72fe259/1S310-1shot-additives.pdf.aspx

Of course, neither of these products solve the problem of cold hands.

Brad in Kansas City

Carlitoes

Hi All, Merry Christmas etc...!
while in Ventura CA we used linseed oil and Japan dryer, kerosene (60s &70s)
also DuPont synthetic reducer.. You have to find your groove!! Experiment..
When I got to Burbank, during the 80s we were all in a hurry! lol
I switched to kerosene and dryer if really cold, again we were in a hurry..
now if you stroke the paint thick and slow... linseed oil & dryer..
if you are a speed demon, laquer thinner. the old kind.. not the cow's milk or synthetic reducer..
Hope this helps..
Ctoez

signbrad

Just looked at the One Shot web page again and realized that Chromaflo and linseed oil, as well as Smith's Cream, are also listed as additives for One Shot enamels.

Brad

Last edited:

Johnny Best

Use to heat up linseed oil and a little turps, smells bad, on a hot plate and use that for a medium. The paint will flow better when the brush touches it. It gets a fast skin but when you touch the brush back to it it will flow again.