• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LHF - The $1000 font (Take a look, good read)

GK

Legally, if this person said his computer was hacked or security was compromised would he still be liable for this? I am sure that isn't the case, but how would anyone prove otherwise?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks George, for pointing that out and sharing with everyone what IS at stake when doing this.

Not only does he have a responsible debt to pay, but he has been branded for life. Reputations can cease in an instant..... especially if you know better and do nothing about it. :Oops:

speedmedia

Ok, I understand they are upset as well as they should be but this happens everyday and they should have something in place to prevent it. I mean how many times has a marketing agency sent fonts over to you for a project? I have it happen quite a bit.

I guess I don't see why they should punish their clients or potential clients for something some dipshit did.

Thanks,
Kurt Dietrich
Speed Media

fozzyber

So I assume that LHF had to download the font from that site to find out who the original user was. I wonder if LHF down load was one of the 32? They are also making the assumption (incorrectly I might add) that everyone who download that font would have bought that font.
I know it is not cool having your software put to file sharing sites, but back charging Randy? I doubt that this would stand a snowball chance in hell in court. Copyright infringement maybe, charging for stolen font, never.

Deaton Design

CHuck at letterheadfonts has been trying to implement software to stop this, but so far, it hasnt worked. He did however label the fonts you buy with the info of the sale in case you decide to give your buddies a copy and then like here, some idiot uploaded it to a file sharing site for everyone to get. I know the guy involved, even met him one time, and he seemed like a nice guy, but he had a chance to fix the whole problem early on and didnt, now its got to this point. I dont blame chuck for doing this. Piracy is rampant in the font and clipart field. Alot of people have no scruples and will try and get everything for free. Its really a shame. I know one thing, people who buy his fonts wont be so quick to give them to someone else anymore now that they know he has a way to chase them down.

GK

Should make this thread a sticky, that way when some newb with one posts comes begging for some illegal share and claims it has no affect on us...now theres actual proof of the outcome.

JimJenson

I would think the person(s) downloading the fonts would be the ones who are the thieves, not the person who bought them originally. It is hard to say how this got to an upload site, or who put it there.
but what do I know...

animenick65

Great excuse for LHF to raise prices. I'm positive they make plenty of money to cover their costs on the design and construction of these fonts. Increasing the cost of a product DOES NOT COUNTERACT PIRACY! The RIAA and MPAA have kept their prices high on their media over the years instead of adjusting prices accordingly when digital distribution arrived on scene. They have paid dearly because of this mistake. Increasing prices over the years has spurred piracy instead of quelling it.

Deaton Design

We wanted to solve the problem amicably. So we asked ***** to quietly find out who uploaded the fonts licensed to him and remove them. We explained that was really all we wanted and if this was accomplished, there would be no need for any further discussion of the situation. Unfortunately, *****rejected our offer.
As you can see, all this could have been avoided and handled very easily without any problems. I believe it would stand up in court also. The piracy laws have changed in the last few years, and people are being brought to task for stealing other peoples work. File sharing sites are direct enemies of people who create legitimate work.
Me myself, I would not up the prices of my clipart to offset piracy issues, but I would definitely go after those that uploaded my stuff to a site like that, or that made copies to either give to friends or sell somewhere else. Designers of fonts and clipart do this to make money for themselves and in the case of letterheadfonts, he pay high royalties to his designers, so if someone is out there giving them away, thats possible sales that are being lost, and in the long run causes the designers to question even doing it anymore.

Last edited:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
$1000 bucks is a lot cheaper than $250,000.00 bucks. I think Chuck is being really cool to offer the 1000 deal to the guy who shared the font.

signage

If they have a legal agreement/license then I would think they would take it to their lawyer and get this filed to set an example! $50,000.00 is a lot more than $1,000.00!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Who pays for software piracy is no different than policy holders paying for insurance fraud or consumers paying for shoplifting or taxpayers paying for a bridge to nowhere. It represents a cost of doing business and is part of the equation for how items are priced.

The legitimate buyers are always the ones who pay for losses due to criminal activities. Defending or rationalizing theft of software is not only wrong, it also helps to perpetuate the problem.

signage

Fred I was not rationalizing the theft of software! All I am saying is they should take the fellow to court and make him pay! Maybe if this was done more people would think twice before purchasing or supplying copy righted material!